Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Insert String Between Dates in Chart Title

I have a chart that displays data between two dates. I want the title to
read like this:

Range("A2").Value & " to " & Range("B2").Value

I highlighted the title box and entered this in the formula bar and Excel
will not accept it, why?

=Summary!$A$2&" to "&Summary!$B$2
--
Cheers,
Ryan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are entering this in the Excel formula bar, try:

=A2&" to"&B2

The syntax looks like you are using VBA code outside of a macro.

"RyanH" wrote:

I have a chart that displays data between two dates. I want the title to
read like this:

Range("A2").Value & " to " & Range("B2").Value

I highlighted the title box and entered this in the formula bar and Excel
will not accept it, why?

=Summary!$A$2&" to "&Summary!$B$2
--
Cheers,
Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way would be to put this formula in a cell, assume you put it in K3

(or hide it away in IV2 or something)

=TEXT(Summary!$A$2,"mm/dd/yyyy")&" to "&TEXT(Summary!$B$2,"mm/dd/yyyy")

(adapt to fit the regional date format you are using)

then click in the title of the chart and type an equal sign and click on K3

so the title when selected would read

=Summary!$K$3

that way it would be dynamic and display as

10/12/2008 to 10/28/2008

as an example

Peo Sjoblom

"RyanH" wrote in message
I have a chart that displays data between two dates. I want the title to
read like this:

Range("A2").Value & " to " & Range("B2").Value

I highlighted the title box and entered this in the formula bar and Excel
will not accept it, why?

=Summary!$A$2&" to "&Summary!$B$2
--
Cheers,
Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I apologize for the confusion. I am not writing VBA code. I tried entering
what you have and I get an Exclamation MsgBox saying "References in series
formulas must be external references to worksheet."

A few more details. The chart is embedded in a worksheet, it is not its own
worksheet. When I select the title of the chart and then enter =Summary!$A$2
Excel accepts that and the title show the date in A2. but when I enter
=Summary!$A$2&" to "&Summary!$B$2 Excel doesn't except it.
--
Cheers,
Ryan

"RyanH" wrote:

I have a chart that displays data between two dates. I want the title to
read like this:

Range("A2").Value & " to " & Range("B2").Value

I highlighted the title box and entered this in the formula bar and Excel
will not accept it, why?

=Summary!$A$2&" to "&Summary!$B$2
--
Cheers,
Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried this already in another cell and it works fine:
=TEXT(Summary!$A$2,"mm/dd/yyyy")&" to "&TEXT(Summary!$B$2,"mm/dd/yyyy")

Any ideas on why you can't put this in the formula bar for the chart title?
--
Cheers,
Ryan