Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default entering VAT rate

Hi.

Setting out a spreadsheet with VAT calculations.

VAT rate is entered in a single cell as a reference and formulas refer to
this cell to make various calculations.

However when I use the copy function to copy the formula down the page to
work the various item prices out, the reference to the VAT cell is
incremented as well as the line reference.

How can I refer to the cell containing the VAT value so it remains as a
constant?

I want just one cell as VAT so that when the VAT rate is changed the whole
sheet can be updated simply by changing the value in that cell.

Roger R

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If the cell with the VAT is A2 use $A$2 to make it absolute or maybe even
better
name the cell VAT (select the cell and type VAT in the name box above column
A's header and press enter). Then you can use

=B2*VAT

as an example and then copy down and it will also be absolute plus it will
give meaning to the formula as well

Peo Sjoblom