Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to extract each digit from a number in one cell?

I need to extract each digit from a number entered in one cell. I then need
to multiply each digit by another digit. The second part I can handle. It's
how to parse that number into it's separate digits that is the challenge. I
am used to redefine capabilities in other languages but can't find any easy
equivalend in Excel.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See if this idea helps
Sub extracteachnumber()
c = ActiveCell
For i = 1 To Len(c)
MsgBox Mid(c, i, 1) * 4
Next

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"greyhound girl" wrote in message
I need to extract each digit from a number entered in one cell. I then need
to multiply each digit by another digit. The second part I can handle.
It's
how to parse that number into it's separate digits that is the challenge.
am used to redefine capabilities in other languages but can't find any
easy
equivalend in Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Data TextToColumns Fixed and set a column for each digit in your
maximum length number...........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"greyhound girl" wrote:

I need to extract each digit from a number entered in one cell. I then need
to multiply each digit by another digit. The second part I can handle. It's
how to parse that number into it's separate digits that is the challenge. I
am used to redefine capabilities in other languages but can't find any easy
equivalend in Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This worked great. I actually had to start from the right most position so
just reversed the counter and end values and added a step -1. I need to do
this with the text entered by a user, calculate a check digit and display the
result as well as use the check digit in building a bar code. I have not
worked much with text boxes. I assume I could use that to gather the data but
wouldn't I need to have a separate calculate button to actually do the
extract? Otherwise, how would the application know when the complete number
had been entered. Any thoughts, suggestions?