Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Undo

Is there a way to set the number of undo's in Excel. Sometimes I can only
undo one or two changes and need to do more.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure what the number of undo's is - I think it's 256. But there are
some commands that Excel won't undo. For example, when you use "Data,
Filter", it won't undo the command using the Undo function in Edit. Instead,
if you look closely, you will see "Can't Undo" greyed-out.

I don't have a list of the commands it won't undo, but perhaps someone else
does. Anyway that's why you're only able to undo a few commands sometimes.

HTH

"Carolyn" wrote:

Is there a way to set the number of undo's in Excel. Sometimes I can only
undo one or two changes and need to do more.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

xl2k and above
XL: How to Modify the Number of Undo Levels
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211922

xl97
XL97: How to Modify the Number of Undo Levels
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=162944

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Which version of Excel?

Normally Excel after 97 version will keep track of 16 levels of undo.

Some actions can't be undone, such as clicking any command on the File menu. If
you can't undo an action, the Undo command changes to Can't Undo.
Macros can clear all items from the undo list.

To increase the number of undo's you can alter the Registry, but I don't think
that is your problem.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 13:22:02 -0800, Carolyn
wrote:

Is there a way to set the number of undo's in Excel. Sometimes I can only
undo one or two changes and need to do more.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Rich:

Thank you for your help on this. I have been very busy at work with long
hours and could only just now return to the discussion. I use Excel at work
on a network. I don't believe I use it to undo a command function. But it
does seem to happen after trying certain features, one may be after I have
used Data Filter. Is it possible such actions clear the undo memory?

"Carolyn" wrote:

Is there a way to set the number of undo's in Excel. Sometimes I can only
undo one or two changes and need to do more.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Dave:

I work on xl2K on a company network. When I called the helpdesk they
reverted to explaining I should save the document befor any action so when I
don't want a change I can close the document and re-open it thinking I was a
basic user. Your reply gives me a diplomatic way to approach the manager re
the question. (I am a long-time though not expert Excel user and have always
been able to rely on undo.) I sent him our link letting him know I was
sending it only as a courtesy since they would know all it referenced.

Thank you for time and assistance.

Carolyn wrote:

Is there a way to set the number of undo's in Excel. Sometimes I can only
undo one or two changes and need to do more.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Gord:

I am working 2002 on a network. And your reply confirmed what I thought but
couldn' t ask our helpdesk in a way that made sense to them. I can now talk
to them from a place we will both understand.

Work has been busy and long days so please accept my apology for not calling
sooner.

Carolyn

wrote:

Is there a way to set the number of undo's in Excel. Sometimes I can only
undo one or two changes and need to do more.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But remember that there are actions that you take that destroy the undo stack.
You'll still want to save often.

I have lots of files that look like:
Nameofworkbook_20070112_184312.xls
(I save as filename_date_time.xls especially when I'm making drastic changes.)

Diskspace is cheap compared to the time it would take to fix stuff.