Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan12

Default How do I stop last number from changing to a 0 in excel

I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter
16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format to
numbers with no decimals.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
L. Howard Kittle

Try setting cell format to text before entering or use an apostrophe then
enter the number

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"dan12" wrote in message
I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter
16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format
numbers with no decimals.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Excel cannot handle "numbers" that large...Try this

Select the cells that will contain account numbers
FormatCellsNumber tab
Category: Text
Click the [OK] button

That will change the format to treat every value as text.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"dan12" wrote:

I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter
16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format to
numbers with no decimals.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mphell0

Excel will only display up to 15 significant digits. So anything beyond
the 15th number will display as a zero. You can either set it up to
display in scientific notation or if you will not be using the numbers
for any math then simply put an apostrophe (') in front of the number
to display it as text.

--
mphell0
mphell0's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30153