Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Lee Lee is offline

Default Hyperlink, Cell and a menu

I create and use several workbooks during a year and then forget what I did
or where I stored them. So, I am trying a crude menu system using Hyperlink
in a worksheet and a Cell formula that I copied from Mr. Pearson's website
that I then copy and paste the values. I can add descriptions of the files
and what they contain from sales or production so that hopefully I can look
at the 2009 menu file and find what I did or looking for 2 years from now. I
know nothing of VBA and don't really want to learn but my question is there
a better way to keep track of what was done.

Thanks,
--
Lee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you don't know VBA and truly have no need to learn it other than for
this use, let me suggest something simpler.

First of all, add a "MyWorkbook L&N" sheet to each of the workbooks you
develop (where MyWorkbook is the name you have given the workbook and
L&N stands for Log & Notes). On it, have three columns: A: Who, B:
When and C: What. Make the first two wide enough for your initials and
a date, then make the third as wide as it can be and still fit (should
you want to print it) on a single page. Select the Col C header and
format the column as Wrap.

Now, in each workbook, log the purpose of the workbook, where any
relevant data comes from and which data is probably going to need to be
updated. Also log where the workbook is stored.

Then, have a separtate workbook which is your "Menu Workbook". Any
time you go into one of the other workbooks and make changes in it, log
those changes into the "MyWorkbook L&N" worksheet and then copy the
"MyWorkbook L&N" worksheet into the "Menu Workbook". Since you can't
have two worksheets in the "Menu Workbook" with the same name, Excel
will append a (2) or some such suffix to the end of the copied worksheet
name. You can then tidy up by deleting the old worksheet from the
"Menu Workbook" (the one that also has the "MyWorkbook L&N" name, but
doesn't have the new suffix) and then remove the suffix from the new
"MyWorkbook L&N" worksheet.

Do this and you will have a way to locate all your workbooks, AND you
will have a track of how the workbook has evolved over time - so you
won't have to spend so much time trying to remember why you did
something and how to correctly modify / update it.

Believe me, this method has been a lifesaver in an environment like
yours where you are the sole user/developer, but the time between
needing to use the workbooks can be years - and in an environment where
there are three users of a single workbook and every user needs to know
the status/state of the workbook when they need to use it. It's low
tech and it's not glamorous, but it can be a lifesaver!

--
jamescox
jamescox's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=449