Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Barb

Default How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet?

How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet? The shortcut does not
work using the ALT+0252.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"Barb" wrote in message
How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet? The shortcut does
not
work using the ALT+0252.

If I recall, those shortcuts only work if you use the numeric keypad to
enter them, not the numbers across the top of the main keyboard area. If
you're already doing this, make sure the cell is formatted with a font which
actually contains the checkmark symbol. Wingdings is one of those fonts.

Here's a foolproof method, although it's a bit convoluted:

1) Click Start, Run, and enter charmap. At the top, switch to the Wingdings
font.

2) Scroll down to the end and you'll see a checkmark symbol. Click it, then
click the Select button, and finally, click the Copy button. The symbol is
now on the clipboard.

not appear correctly until you change the font in that cell to Wingdings.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
neopolitan

Try InsertSymbols and then pick the WingDing font and highlite the
check mark symbol and click on Insert.

--
neopolitan

neopolitan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=611
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505704

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

ü - checkmark - enter with ctrl+:,u
û - matching x - enter with ctrl+^,u

You can also copy and paste them. Change the font to wingdings to get the
marks to look like a checkmar and an x.

"Barb" wrote:

How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet? The shortcut does not
work using the ALT+0252.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Letter a, marlett font.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Barb" wrote in message
How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet? The shortcut does

not
work using the ALT+0252.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Enter an upper-case P in a cell and then format as Wingdings 2
--
Gary''s Student

"Barb" wrote:

How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet? The shortcut does not
work using the ALT+0252.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

And if you're really frustrated:

=char(252)

You could even copy|paste special|values if you wanted. (and copy to new cells,
too)

And from a previous post:

Insert Symbol was added in xl2002.

So if you don't run xl2002+, you'll have to find a different way.

You can hit flying windows R (or windows start button|Run)
type charmap
hit enter

or even
windows start button|Programs|accessories|System tools|charmap
if you like to mouse.

Chip Pearson has an addin that may help (if you're using xl2k or lower).
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
(look for Symbolizer and make sure you get the correct version)

Barb wrote:

How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet? The shortcut does not
work using the ALT+0252.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

And, you now have a source for lots of utterly useless symbols! But, some of
the other peoples' methods are faster.

"Carole Drake" wrote in message
Wahoo! That was fun!

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Barb" wrote in message
[...]

will
not appear correctly until you change the font in that cell to Wingdings.