Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Coverting numbers to decimal

How do I convert 5000000 on a spread sheet to 5.0 without having to divide by
1000000.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Found the answer on a previous post. Thanks #.00,,

"Newbee" wrote:

How do I convert 5000000 on a spread sheet to 5.0 without having to divide by
1000000.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right click the cell
Format Cell
Number Tab
Custom - Add the following
0.0,,
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Newbee" wrote:

How do I convert 5000000 on a spread sheet to 5.0 without having to divide by
1000000.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That does not "convert" the value.

Just displays the same value differently.

Hope you're not relying on 5.0 when adding up your phone bill.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Newbee" wrote:

How do I convert 5000000 on a spread sheet to 5.0 without having to divide by
1000000.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

As Gord said this does not convert the 5000000 to 5 it just changes the
display. If you want to convert a lot of number in the same way:

1 Enter 1000000 in an empty cell
2. Copy the cell
3. Highlight all the cells you want to convert and choose Edit, Paste
Special, Divide

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire