Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How can you create Box Plots (Box-and-Whisker Plots) in Excel?

I would like to create side-by-side Box-and-Whisker Plots for exploratory
data analysis, comparing populations from a variety of sources (monitoring
wells, in this case). I want each "box" to include the following: a line at
the mean and a symbol at the median, a box extending to the first and third
quartiles, and whiskers extending to the min and max. I can tweak the details
myself, but I'm not sure how to get started with it, using the chart tools in
Excel.
Thanks for your help! - Amy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Start he http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html
Happy new year
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Amy Bass" wrote in message
I would like to create side-by-side Box-and-Whisker Plots for exploratory
data analysis, comparing populations from a variety of sources (monitoring
wells, in this case). I want each "box" to include the following: a line
at
the mean and a symbol at the median, a box extending to the first and
third
quartiles, and whiskers extending to the min and max. I can tweak the
details
myself, but I'm not sure how to get started with it, using the chart tools
in
Excel.
Thanks for your help! - Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Amy Bass said:
I would like to create side-by-side Box-and-Whisker Plots for exploratory
data analysis, comparing populations from a variety of sources (monitoring
wells, in this case). I want each "box" to include the following: a line at
the mean and a symbol at the median, a box extending to the first and third
quartiles, and whiskers extending to the min and max. I can tweak the details
myself, but I'm not sure how to get started with it, using the chart tools in
Excel.

There are various clever ways to create the full visual effect of the
classic John Tukey box-and-whisker plot using a combination chart of
line and stacked bar series, and doubtless a couple of posters will be
along shortly to show how that's done.

But may I suggest my preferred version that does the same job using only
Excel line chart series, without boxes, which are after all only a
visual aid invented in the days when draftsmen drew them with pen and
ruler?

http://www.branta.demon.co.uk/excel/...thoutboxes.xls

--
Del Cotter