BrotherNov

Default How do I convert a number formated as a date to text in Excel?

I need to convert several columns of dates in excel to text. When I simply
use the format cells command to reformat the cells to text, it first converts
the date back to the underlying number then converts it to text. Hope I'm
being clear here.

Example - the date as viewed on the screen is Mon (Monday). When I convert
it to text I get 38446. I want "Mon", in text format. Thanks!
Earl Kiosterud

Brother,

I think only a macro could convert your date to text. Perhaps if you tell
us why you need it in actual text, there are other solutions.

Perhaps

--
Earl Kiosterud

"BrotherNov" wrote in message
I need to convert several columns of dates in excel to text. When I
simply
use the format cells command to reformat the cells to text, it first
converts
the date back to the underlying number then converts it to text. Hope I'm
being clear here.

Example - the date as viewed on the screen is Mon (Monday). When I
convert
it to text I get 38446. I want "Mon", in text format. Thanks!

BrotherNov

I want to synchronize/transfer the spreadsheet to my Palm Handheld. Software
on the Palm called "documents to go" allows users to work with native excel
documents, however the cell formatting options are limited. The date formats
I want to use aren't supported, so I figured that I would change it to text
before transferring it to the Palm. I appreciate your fast response, and
hope this bit of background helps!

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Brother,

I think only a macro could convert your date to text. Perhaps if you tell
us why you need it in actual text, there are other solutions.

Perhaps

--
Earl Kiosterud

"BrotherNov" wrote in message
I need to convert several columns of dates in excel to text. When I
simply
use the format cells command to reformat the cells to text, it first
converts
the date back to the underlying number then converts it to text. Hope I'm
being clear here.

Example - the date as viewed on the screen is Mon (Monday). When I
convert
it to text I get 38446. I want "Mon", in text format. Thanks!

Fred Smith

You can convert any number to text using the Text function. In your case,
use:

=Text(a1,"ddd")

Fred
Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

"BrotherNov" wrote in message
I need to convert several columns of dates in excel to text. When I
simply
use the format cells command to reformat the cells to text, it first
converts
the date back to the underlying number then converts it to text. Hope I'm
being clear here.

Example - the date as viewed on the screen is Mon (Monday). When I
convert
it to text I get 38446. I want "Mon", in text format. Thanks!

Earl Kiosterud

Yup. To add to that, if that formula isn't supported by the Palm Handheld,
you could copy, then Paste special - Values right over the original stuff
(or elsewhere).

--
Earl Kiosterud