KLJ

Default How do I "grey out" a row in excel

I am looking for a way to "Grey Out" a row in an Excel tracking chart I am
using. I did not want to use the text and fill colors if I did not need to.

Thanx !!
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I "grey out" a row in excel

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can "grey out" a row in Excel:
  1. Select the row that you want to grey out.
  2. Right-click on the selected row and choose "Format Cells" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, click on the "Fill" tab.
  4. Choose the grey color that you want to use for the row by clicking on it.
  5. Click "OK" to apply the formatting to the selected row.

Alternatively, you can also use conditional formatting to grey out a row based on a certain condition. Here's how:
  1. Select the row that you want to apply the conditional formatting to.
  2. Click on the "Conditional Formatting" button in the "Home" tab of the ribbon.
  3. Choose "New Rule" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box, choose "Use a formula to determine which cells to format".
  5. In the "Format values where this formula is true" field, enter a formula that will evaluate to TRUE for the rows that you want to grey out. For example, if you want to grey out rows where the value in column A is greater than 10, you can enter the formula
    Code:
    "=A110"
    (assuming that you have selected the first row of the table).
  6. Click on the "Format" button to choose the grey color that you want to use for the row.
  7. Click "OK" to apply the conditional formatting to the selected row.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Dave Peterson

Maybe you could use Format|conditional formatting and change the color of the
row based on some criteria.

Or maybe you could lock those cells on that row (and unlock the other cells)
(format|cells|protection tab), then protect the worksheet.

But I'm not sure what "grey out" means...

--

Dave Peterson
KLJ

KLJ wrote:

I am looking for a way to "Grey Out" a row in an Excel tracking chart I am
using. I did not want to use the text and fill colors if I did not need to.

Thanx !!

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks Dave.
I am trying to acheive an effect similar to what Microsoft does
when"buttons" are not available on a toolbar.

Kevin

MatthewTap

If you're trying to get it so that it can't be selected, then you can use the
sheet protection.

I don't know how knowledgeable you are, so some / all of this may be old hat
to you, but maybe it'll help and maybe it'll help someone else.

When you start with a new worksheet, each cell is by design locked. But,
the locking doesn't do anything unless the sheet is protected:
TOOLS PROTECTION PROTECT SHEET

One of the basic aspects is that you can make it so locked cells cannot e
selected. [you can even gray the cells out with shading first, if you like].
But, when you do that, those fields will be unselectable. Most folks would
suggest to first change the bulk of the cells you're going to use to
unlocked, and just lock the cells that you want to gray out.

hope this helps, and I hope I didn't yammer too much.

This will bring up a menu for you to check on what you want the locked cells
to do / what behaviors they should exhibit

KLJ wrote:

I am looking for a way to "Grey Out" a row in an Excel tracking chart I am
using. I did not want to use the text and fill colors if I did not need to.

Thanx !!

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks Dave.
I am trying to acheive an effect similar to what Microsoft does
when"buttons" are not available on a toolbar.

Kevin

KLJ

"R.VENKATARAMAN" wrote:

why not hide the row
"KLJ" wrote in message
I am looking for a way to "Grey Out" a row in an Excel tracking chart I

am
using. I did not want to use the text and fill colors if I did not need

to.

Thanx !!

Thank you all for the help,I am using this as atracking metod and as an item is complete I want to "gery out ,but still be able to show the completed item. I would normally use "project" but the community does not have this option and I did not want to have to create image of list.

KLJ

KLJ wrote:

I am looking for a way to "Grey Out" a row in an Excel tracking chart I am
using. I did not want to use the text and fill colors if I did not need to.

Thanx !!

--

Dave Peterson

Thanks Dave.
I am trying to acheive an effect similar to what Microsoft does
when"buttons" are not available on a toolbar.

Kevin

No yammering at allsir ;-)