Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default skip every other row when copying formula

I would like to be able to skip every other row when copying a formula. If I
have data in column A for example, and I want to use a simple formula in
column B like "=a1"(in cell b1) and "=a2"(in cell b3) and "=a3"(in cell b5)
and so on. I have tried using the drag and fill but I end up missing cells.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: skip every other row when copying formula

To skip every other row when copying a formula in Excel, follow these steps:
  1. Enter your formula in the first cell where you want to apply it. In your case, you would enter
    Code:
    "=A1"
    in cell B1.
  2. In the cell below the one where you entered the formula (in this case, cell B2), enter the number "2".
  3. Select both cells (B1 and B2) and drag the fill handle (the small square in the bottom right corner of the selection) down as far as you want to apply the formula.
  4. Release the mouse button and you should see that the formula has been applied to every other row, skipping the rows where you entered the number "2".
  5. If you want to adjust the range of cells where the formula is applied, you can select the cells where you want to apply the formula and drag the fill handle again.

That's it! You should now be able to skip every other row when copying a formula in Excel.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assume your data in column A is:
11
22
33
44
55
66
77
88
99

11 is in cell A1 and 99 in in cell A11

In B1 put =A1
In cell B2 put:
=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),"",INDIRECT("A"&INT(ROW(B2)/2)+1))
Then drag it down.

In cell B1 you get 11 (obviously)
B2, B4, B6 and B8 are blank
B3 shows 22
B5 shows 33
B7 shows 44 and
B9 shows 55

--
Andy Wiggins FCCA
www.BygSoftware.com

"RHD3" wrote in message
I would like to be able to skip every other row when copying a formula. If
have data in column A for example, and I want to use a simple formula in
column B like "=a1"(in cell b1) and "=a2"(in cell b3) and "=a3"(in cell
b5)
and so on. I have tried using the drag and fill but I end up missing
cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you want ...

A B
1 =A1
2
3 =A2
4
5 =A4

if that is the problem,
You just copy B3, and paste it to remaining cells in B
That's it.

*** Please do rate ***

"RHD3" wrote:

I would like to be able to skip every other row when copying a formula. If I
have data in column A for example, and I want to use a simple formula in
column B like "=a1"(in cell b1) and "=a2"(in cell b3) and "=a3"(in cell b5)
and so on. I have tried using the drag and fill but I end up missing cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Type formula in the first cell and nothing in the cell below.
Select these two cells; use copy
Move to Third cell and select to end of range; use Paste
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"RHD3" wrote in message
I would like to be able to skip every other row when copying a formula. If
have data in column A for example, and I want to use a simple formula in
column B like "=a1"(in cell b1) and "=a2"(in cell b3) and "=a3"(in cell
b5)
and so on. I have tried using the drag and fill but I end up missing
cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the reply. It works for numbers, but my cell "entries" are text.
I can't get it to work with text.

My column A is similar to:

\\test\ie\v03\0123
\\test\ie\v03\0456