Kevin Gordon

Default Adding contents of cells by clicking in Excel 2002

I'd like to be able to sum into a blank cell a series of non-consecutive
cells by clicking on them, i.e. by clicking in an empty cell and then hitting
= to start a formula and then clicking the cells I want to add one by one.
Excel 2002's default is to REPLACE the last cell clicked on when you click
after cells one after the other, I want them to add together. Some versions
of Excel (eg. Office 98 and X for Mac) do this by default. Can this be set
up in Office 2002 also?

Thanks in advance.
tjtjjtjt

Try this:
In the cell you want to add in, type:
=SUM(
Then, Hold down Ctrl and Click on the cells you want to add together.
When you're done, type the closing ) and then press enter.

tj

"Kevin Gordon" wrote:

I'd like to be able to sum into a blank cell a series of non-consecutive
cells by clicking on them, i.e. by clicking in an empty cell and then hitting
= to start a formula and then clicking the cells I want to add one by one.
Excel 2002's default is to REPLACE the last cell clicked on when you click
after cells one after the other, I want them to add together. Some versions
of Excel (eg. Office 98 and X for Mac) do this by default. Can this be set
up in Office 2002 also?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Gordon

Earl,

Thanks for your response. Yes there are certainly other ways around this,
some not that much more difficult that this one. My preference when using
the autosum would be to hold down control and do the clicking instead of
having to type a comma inbetween each click.

However, I'm most keen to see if the default left-click behaviour can be
changed to an add function - clearly it's a potential as this is default
behaviour in Office 98 and X for Mac - the question is, is it hard coded into
each version, or user-alterable?

Why am I so keen on changing this? Well, I often want to add just two or
three cells together, multiple times in quick succession in a workbook.
Having this default behaviour could save me a lot of time overall.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Kevin,

Almost. Click the Autosum button, now start clicking your cells, typing a
comma between each. Press Enter.

--
Earl Kiosterud

Kevin Gordon

And thanks to TJ for answering too.

Gord Dibben

Alternate method.

Hit SHIFT + F8 to get into ADD mode.

Click on desired cells without holding the CRTL key.

Hit F8 twice to get out of ADD mode. Or SHIFT + F8 again.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Kevin Gordon" wrote:

I'd like to be able to sum into a blank cell a series of non-consecutive
cells by clicking on them, i.e. by clicking in an empty cell and then hitting
= to start a formula and then clicking the cells I want to add one by one.
Excel 2002's default is to REPLACE the last cell clicked on when you click
after cells one after the other, I want them to add together. Some versions
of Excel (eg. Office 98 and X for Mac) do this by default. Can this be set
up in Office 2002 also?

Thanks in advance.

Gord Dibben

Thanks for the catch RD.