Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default wraping columns

I have a unique problem. I'm using office 2007 ( I also have access to 2003
). I'm trying to format a list of names from Word to Excel. I don't mind
pounding in the data, but I still want it to act like it does in Word. I
have a list of phone numbers, Last names, first names & Addresses. I want to
be able to print them out onto a page of 81/2X11 paper. My problem is this.
I want to have 2 columns on each paper, I also want to be able to add
additional names & information as well as remove them when they leave,
meanwhile keeping them in alphabetical order with the columns interacting
with each other... I hope I made this clear. Does this sound like something
that excel can do ??? I want to get away from Word because the formatting is
poor... the edges of each row don't quite line up and the print-out looks
amateur-istic. If you want, reply to ....
Thanks for any help anyone can render
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are your ph nos, lastnames, firstnames, addresses in 1 column or?

I would suggest entering the info on one sheet, sort after entering/deleting
data.

When you are ready to print, copy to another sheet for printing in snaked
columns using VBA macro.

Post back with more detail.

BUT.............I doubt if Excel will do a better job than Word when it
comes to formatting a printout.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:35:01 -0700, Notbobathome
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not sure how to use this... I don't do much of this thing. I'll answer your
questions here and I hope you can understand.
The Ph#, lastnames, firstnames and addresses are all in different columns.
I'm not sure what VBA macro is, or how to use it.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So that means 4 columns......A:D

I assumed when writing the code that each column has a title like

Phone LastName FirstName Address

Add or delete names etc. on one sheet only using those 4 columns.

Select all columns and DataSort on one of them.......say LastName.

I thought of incorporating the sort in the macro but better you sort how you
wish.

When the sort is complete, run this macro to create a duplicate sheet with
name of PrintSheet.

The 4 columns will then be snaked into 2 sets of 4 columns side by each on
PrintSheet.

Public Sub Snake4to8()
Dim myRange As Range
Dim colsize As Long
Dim maxrow As Long
Dim wkSht As Worksheet
Const numgroup As Integer = 2
Const NumCols As Integer = 4
On Error GoTo fileerror
For Each wkSht In Worksheets
With wkSht
If .Name = "PrintSheet" Then
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Sheets("ListLetters").Delete
End If
End With
Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
With ActiveSheet
.Name = "PrintSheet"
End With
colsize = Int((ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count + _
((NumCols - 1)) / NumCols)) / numgroup
Range("A1").Select
With ActiveCell.Parent.UsedRange
maxrow = .Cells(.Cells.Count).Row + 1
End With
ActiveCell.Parent.Cells(maxrow, ActiveCell.Column) _
.End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Select
Set myRange = Range(ActiveCell.Address & ":" _
& ActiveCell.Offset(-colsize, (NumCols - 1)).Address)
myRange.Cut Destination:=ActiveSheet.Range("E2")
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Range("A1:D1").Copy Destination:=Range("E1")
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Range("A1").Select
fileerror:
End Sub

If you're not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for
more on "getting started".

or Ron de De Bruin's site on where to store macros.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

In the meantime..........

First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + r to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Run or edit the macro by going to ToolMacroMacros.

You can also assign this macro to a button or a shortcut key combo.

Gord