Robert AS

Default HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE.

There seems to be no way I can find to next functions in 2003 excel basic
like I could in excel 95. Had I of knowen that I wouldn't of spent the money
for it...(gee Micro soft thanks alot).....anyway what should I do now
becvause I really need that option???

I have both disks....about all I can come up wit is just remove office 2003
and reinstall 95....is there any thing else I can do to get that option back
in the excel cells????
Ken Wright

Maybe you could clarify exactly what you mean by

no way I can find to next functions in 2003

because to be honest I'm struggling a little with what you are referring to.

Regards
Ken..................

"Robert AS" wrote:

There seems to be no way I can find to next functions in 2003 excel basic
like I could in excel 95. Had I of knowen that I wouldn't of spent the money
for it...(gee Micro soft thanks alot).....anyway what should I do now
becvause I really need that option???

I have both disks....about all I can come up wit is just remove office 2003
and reinstall 95....is there any thing else I can do to get that option back
in the excel cells????

Ken Wright

Damned web newsreader cutting off the title. Now I've blown it up I can get
the gist of what you were looking for, but I'm struggling to understand what
you see as different. Nesting functions is simply a case of replacing
arguments within one one function with another function as opposed to a
hard-wired piece of data, eg:-

=IF(A1=0,0,IF(B1=0,0,IF(C1=0,0,B1/C1)))
=SUM(OFFSET(A1,,,3))
=VLOOKUP(MATCH(G1,I1:M1,0),D1:E10,2,0)

and there are numerous examples on this site alone.

As far as help within Excel, I'm at work so can only try in XP but just
throwing in the text 'nesting functions' in help brings up the following:-

About nesting functions within functions
In certain cases, you may need to use a function as one of the arguments of
another function. For example, the following formula uses a nested AVERAGE
function and compares the result with the value 50.

Valid returns
When a nested function is used as an argument, it must return the same type
of value that the argument uses. For example, if the argument returns a TRUE
or FALSE value, then the nested function must return a TRUE or FALSE. If it
doesn't, Microsoft Excel displays a #VALUE! error value.

Nesting level limits
A formula can contain up to seven levels of nested functions. When Function
B is used as an argument in Function A, Function B is a second-level
function. For instance, the AVERAGE function and the SUM function are both
second-level functions because they are arguments of the IF function. A
function nested within the AVERAGE function would be a third-level function,
and so on.

--------------------------------

If you have something specific you are trying to do then post thedetails and
we can try and walk you through it.

2003 is a vast improvement over the early versions of Excel.

Regards
Ken......................

"Robert AS" wrote:

There seems to be no way I can find to next functions in 2003 excel basic
like I could in excel 95. Had I of knowen that I wouldn't of spent the money
for it...(gee Micro soft thanks alot).....anyway what should I do now
becvause I really need that option???

I have both disks....about all I can come up wit is just remove office 2003
and reinstall 95....is there any thing else I can do to get that option back
in the excel cells????

Robert AS

I know how to nest funtions in 95. I don't know how to nest functions in
excel 2003 basic I can't get the stupid function to call up a new function
with in the one I started with. In Execl 95 all I had to do was hit the Fx
key at the left of the cell and it didn't require me to know in advance all
the code for the functions...all I had to do was just place in the terms I
wanted the fonction to work with.

In Excel 2003 basic there seems to be no way to call up a function with in a
function and let it also command the code and me just the terms.

I know what a newsted function is thanks...what I can't seem to do is get
the blasted program to do it like Excel 95 did. I've seen the exsamples
thanks. Is 2003 basic a limted excel sheet that wil lnot let me nest
functions the way 95 did?

"Robert AS" wrote:

There seems to be no way I can find to next functions in 2003 excel basic
like I could in excel 95. Had I of knowen that I wouldn't of spent the money
for it...(gee Micro soft thanks alot).....anyway what should I do now
becvause I really need that option???

I have both disks....about all I can come up wit is just remove office 2003
and reinstall 95....is there any thing else I can do to get that option back
in the excel cells????

Ken Wright

There are certainly differences, but for example supposing I wanted to nest
an OFFSET function within a SUM function to create a dynamic range for the
SUM, then I could simply type =SUM(OFFSET( and then hit the FX icon to give
me the list of fields to fill in for the OFFSET function - Is that perhaps
what you were looking for?

Regards

"Robert AS" wrote:

<SNIP