Default how to increase maximum number of columns in excel 2003

Excel 2003 is set to 256 columns, perhaps because my spreadsheet was
originally started in Excel 97. How can I increase the maximum number of
columns to what is possible in Excel 2003? Quattro Pro has far more columns
available. I can't believe that Microsoft would limit Excel 2003 to 256
columns. ?????