MC

Default Save? prompt when closing Excel

Have you come up with any conclusions?
I have three laptops all expeirencing the same symptoms.
I am starting to believe that there is a registry entry that is set wrong.
For instance, I can take a workbook open it in one machine make a change and
then close it and it will not save nor propmt to save changes, If I open this
workbook on anther users machine I do get prompted.
Even a clean fresh documnet that i type HELLO in the first space, "will not
prompt to save change on close"
I have not been able to find any signs of macros running.
MC

"lh" wrote:

I don't know for sure what happened. I'll just have to
keep an eye out and hope I don't miss something. Thanks
Dave Peterson

Try opening excel in safe mode:

close excel
windows start button|run
excel /safe

Then test it by entering "hello" in A1 and see if you get prompted.

If you do, then I'd bet you do have a macro running.

Chip Pearson has some notes that you may want to read to help isolate the
problem:

--

Dave Peterson

.

--

Dave Peterson
MC

Thanks, but that did not work.
Safe mode -- did not get prompted.
Tried Excel.exe /RegServer did not work.
Just got a little closer --- Unistalled the SAP Business ONE Outlook
Integration and the problem went away.... Boy does this smell like a registry
issue.
Marty

lh wrote:

Over the last couple of days, I've lost changes to some
excel files because it is no longer asking me if I want
save the changesI think it used to) when I close the
workbook. This isn't the same as AutoSave. What might I
have inadvertentely changed.

--

Dave Peterson

.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I don't have any other guess.

But I would take another look at the XLStart folder.

And anything that's in the folder specified in:
Tools|options|General tab,
"at startup, open all files in:" <xl2002+ wording
"Alternate Startup File location" <before xl2002 wording

Or even Tools|Addins.

But those were mentioned in Chip's instructions.

I've never seen excel not prompt me when it thought the workbook was dirty --
except when I had a macro running that told excel to do something different.

lh wrote:

Over the last couple of days, I've lost changes to some
excel files because it is no longer asking me if I want
save the changesI think it used to) when I close the
workbook. This isn't the same as AutoSave. What might I
have inadvertentely changed.

--

Dave Peterson

.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Ron

I have been experiencing the same problem as "MC" (in fact I just posted a
note on this today (march 12, 2005). It is interesting that I also have
installed SAP Business One - Outlook Integration on my system, likely around
the time that this problem started happening with my Excel. That is a very
interesting coincidence which I will be following up on .

Thanks .... Ron Pender