Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default function to retrieve a list of unique characters from a column

I have a column with a lot of text inside (some 14000 rows).

The question came to mind to know which unique characters appear in this
column.

I couldn't find a formula that can help me answer my question.

So... does anybody know how to get a list of unique characters that occur
within a column? There are functions to give me the count of unique
characters, so I don't need that.

Greets,

Pluggie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With datalist in A1 to A14000, enter this in B1:

=A1

And enter this *array* formula in B2:

=IF(ISERR(MATCH(0,COUNTIF(B$1:B1,$A$1:$A$14000&"") ,0)),"",INDEX(IF(ISBLANK($A$1:$A$14000),"",$A$1:$A $14000),MATCH(0,COUNTIF(B$1:B1,$A$1:$A$14000&""),0 )))

--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

--

HTH,

RD

"Pluggie" wrote in message
I have a column with a lot of text inside (some 14000 rows).

The question came to mind to know which unique characters appear in this
column.

I couldn't find a formula that can help me answer my question.

So... does anybody know how to get a list of unique characters that occur
within a column? There are functions to give me the count of unique
characters, so I don't need that.

Greets,

Pluggie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can then select B2, and *double* click the fill handle in the lower
right corner to copy the formula down Column B, as far as there is
contiguous data in Column A.

--

HTH,

RD