Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mr. Low

Default Working spreadsheet highlighting function for Excel 2007

Dear Sir,

I have tested MS Excel 2007 (Beta) recently. I have van idea in my mind that
I would like to present it to you for product improvement.

At present if a user need to set the cell and font properties at a
particular spreadsheet, he need to highlight it manually. This may be time
consuming and tedious if the spreadsheet is very big.

He may opted to click at the top left hand corner of cell A1 in order for
him to cover the whole block spreadsheet he is working on at the shortest
possible time.. This is workable, but when the cell properties are set, it
covers to the very border of the entire spreadsheet (i.e. from A1..to XFD
1048576).

Setting cell properties to the unused portion of the spreadsheet is taking
up a lot of RAM for a PC and may reduce its performance. It also take up a
lot of hard disk space when data a stored or speed copying by highlighting
the entire spreadsheet.(clicking at the top left hand corner of cell A1)

In order to solve this problem, I would like to suggest that an option for
user to highlight the working part of the spreadsheet be added. Also allow
an option to select columns or rows of working spreadsheet. This would speed
up the cell properties changes, and editing the spreadsheet.

Just consider the following the working spreadsheet of B2..AA8500 as an
example :

A B C D E F ... AA €¦€¦.XFD
1
2
3
4
....8500

€¦. 1048576

If the user has a working spread sheet from B2 .. AA8500, an option to click
once at corner of cell B2 to allow him to highlight B2.. AA8500 is very
helpful. Although existing setting allow him to use End and Page Down Key
for rows and columns for him to block the worksheet, this however requires 4
key stroke. If this process could be done just by a click, it would be great.

If the user clicks at top left hand corner cell of A 1, the user still can
highlight the entire workbook to its very border if he or she so whishes.

Similarly if the user need to highlight a working columns of the
spreadsheet, he may be given an option to click at the column at row number
2 , example D2, will highlight up to D8500, just by a single click. If the
user wishes to highlight up to D1048576, he may choose to click at the cell
above D1 (existing feature)

Similar steps applies to highlighting rows across the spreadsheet.

I hope Microsoft could look into this possible feature , as it will make the
spreadsheet a bit wiser and more efficient.

Kind Regards
Low Seng Kuang
Malaysia

--
A36B58K641

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lk

I haven't tested 2007, but the functionality you are asking for exists in
2003 (so it most likely works in 2007 too).

CTRL+SHIFT+END extends the selection of cells to the last used cell on the
worksheet (lower-right corner).

CTRL+SHIFT+HOME extends the selection of cells tothe beginning of the
workheet.

You can look under Help, Keyboard Shortcuts, Extend a Selection for other
shortcuts.

"Mr. Low" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mr. Low

Dear IK,

I tried to press CTRL+SHIFT+END to extend the selection of cells to the last
used cell on the worksheet (lower-right corner) and CTRL+SHIFT+HOME to
extend the selection of cells tothe beginning. It works very well. Many
thanks for your guidience. However I cannot find a short cut command for this
under the Customise Tool Bar Selections.

I am curretly testing Excel 2007 Beta, Is there anyone who know how to
create a short cut button for this ? If this command is actually not
available from the command selections , I would like to suggest to microsoft
to add it to the menu. This would enable quick tasks on working spreasheet.

Kind Regards

Low Seng Kuang

--
A36B58K641

"Mr. Low" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lk

In 2003, in View Toolbars Customize, there is a button under Edit named
"Select Current Region". It will select all contiguous cells.

"Mr. Low" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mr. Low

Hi IK,

I could locate File, Edit / Edit Worksheet function ast the Customise Toll
Bar selection under Excel 2007, but it fail to be added to the tool bar.

Perhaps this is a trial version, it has certain limitation. Anyone has any
idea on this ?

Thanks

Low

--