Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tckok56

Default To Rank on two Criteria

How can i use the RANK function or any other functions on criteria from two
columns. One column in descending order, the other in ascending order.
Thank You and Happy Hew Year
--
May the force be with you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rsenn

You'll likely have to convert the two columns into one, such as by 10*
column A + 1 * column B, then rank on the new column C.

:(

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tckok56

Thank you very much, rsenn. Your suggestion is ver helpful.

HOWEVER, I have another problem. How can I peform the rank function if the
first criteria in the first column is in the ascending order while the other
is in the descending order (i.e. the other way round)
Thank you again
--
May the force be with you!

"rsenn" wrote:

You'll likely have to convert the two columns into one, such as by 10*
column A + 1 * column B, then rank on the new column C.

:(

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497232

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rsenn

Post a small sample of your data and the results that you'd like to see
using that small sample, and let's take a look.

If you use excelforum.com to post you can attach a zip file. Lot's of
people can chip in with solutions if you do this.

Or, you can send the small sample to me in private e-mail.

Randall dot Senn at excite dot com.

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497232

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tckok56

Thanks again to rsenn
Also to all excelforum.com members who can help.

Below is a sample of data. The 3rd column is what I wish to arrived at using
a RANK function. Column A is sorted in ascending order first before column B
is considered so as to avoid having two or more rows with the same ranking.

GRADE AV RANK
POINT
-------- --------- --------
5.00 14.9 11
1.25 84.8 2
1.25 83.9 3
1.00 84.3 1
2.00 52.2 6
1.88 74.3 4
1.88 73.6 5
3.20 56.3 9
2.10 51.4 7
2.10 51.0 8
4.30 40.2 10

Can I have a RANK function to solve my problem?
Thank you
--
May the force be with you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rsenn

tckok56

Although I don't see how to get the RANK function to directly take
your two columns as the fields to be ranked, it is easy enough to create
from those two columns a third column to get a single rankable column
that ranks the way you want. A sample using your data is posted at
this link.

http://www.anywhereenterprises.com:8...AApQZOAApQZpQZ

Briefly, using your data, convert the first column from a little
number to big number sequence to a big number to little number
sequence. Your numbers range from 1 to 5, so do it as 6 minus the
original number. This will reverse the order. Call this column AA.

Then multiply column AA by a big number; 10,000 in this case.
Call this column AB.

Then add your second column of numbers, the ones from 14.9 to
84.8, to column AB. Call this result column AC.

Then use the rank function based on column AC.

Let me know if this helps.

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497232

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tckok56

rsenn, your response to my question has been very inspiring. A ver big THANK
YOU from me!!

You have inspired me to try out ways of solving problems which I would not
have tried. U have made my grey matter work harder especially your last
response. THANKS.

I have arrived at another solution and I wish to share it with you as well
as to request for confirmation of its reliablity. The solution is as follows:

GP AV 1/GP + AV/100 Rank
---- ---- ---- ----
1 84.3 1.843000 1
1.25 84.8 1.648000 2
1.25 83.9 1.639000 3
1.88 74.3 1.274915 4
1.88 73.6 1.267915 5
2 52.2 1.022000 6
2.1 51.4 0.990190 7
2.1 51 0.986190 8
3.2 56.3 0.875500 9
4.3 40.2 0.634558 10
5 14.9 0.349000 11

--
May the force be with you!

"rsenn" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rsenn

Gee, thanks. I've rarely had such a response.

Your method probably will work in practice. Using the reciprical of GP
wass a nice touch to convert the numbers from low to high into high to
low.

That there is a high correlation between your GP and AV numbers is
pretty obvious, but it is not perfect, so presumably you could have
something like this.

In the original data there is
GP AV Rank
1.88*****74.3*****4
1.88*****73.6*****5

If you change the first 1.88 to 1.87 (an improvement) and the 73.6 to
75 (also an improvement), then the proposed method would rank these as
5 and 4, when I think you would still want them to be 4 and 5.

That was the reason for multiplying by a big number, to keep the
relative weights of the two numbers separate. You could do the same
with your reciprical method (which I like) and it would work just fine.