Pre-construction Manager & Excel !?

Default PLEASE HELP!? Creating a simple database with excel, minor setback

Windows XP Pro - Drywall Company with 40 crews

I have a minor/major problem. My goal is as such:

I have created a workbook containing all 40 of my hanging and taping crews
(one file HANGERS with about 25 tabs/worksheets & one file TAPERS with about
15 tabs/worksheets) These sheets have 4 columns (1-conctractor)(2-job
address)(3-amount of pay for that job)(4-date paid)

I have also created a workbook containing the following:

worksheet 1 - contract for specific job
worksheet 2 - preparation sheet for job
worksheet 3 - paysheet for guys*

*This is one of the worksheet in question

the paysheets for guys contains several fields of information
in the first column there is the Hangers name
the column below that has the Tapers name
in the top right hand corner on the top column is the contractor
below that is the address
below that is the city
below that is the job number

and information below this top section mentioned consists of all
specifications for the specific job.

QUESTION:

Is there a way that I can export (not sure terminology) specific information
from the paysheet to a specific file (i.e. HANGER/TAPER) then to a specific
worksheet with in the file with specific data from the paysheet

EXAMPLE:

PAYSHEET-

Hanger: David 11/30 start
Great Builders
Tape: Thomas 12/5 start
134 Excel Dr.
12/9 finish
Eastville, MI

Job # 4567
Hang: $ 1294.65 + 350

Tape: $ 1294.65 + 350 Amt
sheets: 189

(other job specific information below nothing to do with question)

HANGER/TAPER PAY DATABASE WORKBOOK -

25 worksheets within the file

each worksheet contains crew leader's name on tab

HANGER/TAPER DATABASE WORKSHEET -

CONTRACTOR JOB ADDRESS AMOUNT
PAID

Great Builders 134 Excel Dr.
1294.65+350 12/9

{tab: david}

CONTRACTOR JOB ADDRESS AMOUNT
PAID

Great Builders 134 Excel Dr.
1294.65+350 12/14

{tab: thomas}

i only want to have to enter this information once on the paysheet and have
it automatically export information to the HANGER/TAPER DATABASE WORKSHEET as
is above exporting only content specific information from the paysheet but
also to the specified Hanger or Taper

IS THIS POSSIBLE???

Andrea Blake

So, would you think I was being catty if I told you, "Anything's possible
with enough time and money."

You can definitely link the information into another spreadsheet, just as
you do across sheets in a workbook or cells on within a sheet. As long as
your worksheets are consistent in the positions of your stored information,
it should be easy to copy your link formulas to fill in (link) additions to
your data. It sounds like you may be mixing things up a bit, so things could
get sticky (data groupings in the same column, rather than seperated out, I'm
a little confused on your explanation).

My question would be, why aren't you using Access instead of Excel? Many of
the formulas you use in Excel are almost identical in Access, so it makes
things (I think) very easy to transition to. Access would allow you more
precision, flexibility and power to represent the information you're storing.
You would need to really think about your data relationship, and group things
into tables, but it would be much more useful in the long run, especially
with changing business needs. Just my two cents.

Hope this helped a little!
-Andrea