Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Big problem with excel recalculating spreadsheet

Background:
I work at a small water utility and I created a spreadsheet to track
P&L. Basic stuff, compare water pumped to water sold to find loss,
stuff like that. There are 2 times that the meter reading on a pump
would be less than the previous reading. Either the meter rolled over
or it was changed. To handle this, if the current reading is less than
the previous I have a form open asking which situation it is and
depending on user input it does one of 2 things. They recently added
some new wells and I'm adding them to the spreadsheet.

Here is the problem:
When I add a new page excel recalculates the spreadsheet. What this
means is, for every time that a meter rolled over or was replaced, the
dialogue pops up again, so right now I'll get about 30 instances of the
dialogue appearing. There is no indication of which meter the dialogue
is for, so there's no way to answer correctly. I have set calculation
to manual so that I could add the pages, but now when I set it back to
automatic it still recalculates the entire spreadsheet. Leaving
calculation on manual isn't an option because when I enter new data and
force it to calculate the page it recalculates the whole page, and I get
the dialogues again, with no indication as to which is being referred
to. My question is, is there a way to force Excel to not recalculate
the spreadsheet when I turn automatic calculation back on. Sorry if
this is too much information, I wanted to be as specific as possible.

--
Prometheus
Prometheus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15697

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

when you collect your meter readings, ask the inputter to enter reading
AND a code
N = normal reading
R = rolled over
M = meter changed

then your spreadsheet could figure out for itself what reading to take

ie if code = R, reading = submitted reading + (10000000 - previous
reading)
N submitted reading - prev reading
M you define the rules.......

--
robert111
robert111's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31996

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's actually a good idea and something that would have been awesome
to implement when I made this thing (I had no idea what a pita it would
turn out to be). Unfortunately this thing is huge now and there's no
way I'd have time to make modifications like that. I've taken 1
semester of VB and had never touched excel before this so I've
basically built the whole thing using trial and error with help I found
on the net and these forums. Making substantial changes to the way it
works would take me way more time than I have these days, it took me a
good month of spare time at work to make it :)