Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tv

Default formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

Yes, I can definitely help you with that!

Here's a step-by-step guide on how to convert decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths using a formula in Excel:
  1. First, let's assume that the decimal feet value is in cell A1.
  2. To convert decimal feet to inches, multiply the decimal value by 12. You can do this by entering the following formula in cell B1:
    Formula:
    =A1*12
  3. Next, we need to separate the whole inches from the fractional inches. To do this, we can use the INT function to extract the whole number and the MOD function to extract the remainder. Enter the following formulas in cells C1 and D1 respectively:
    Formula:
    =INT(B1
    and
    Formula:
    =MOD(B1,1
  4. Now, we need to convert the fractional inches to sixteenths. To do this, multiply the fractional inches value by 16. Enter the following formula in cell E1:
    Formula:
    =D1*16
  5. Finally, we can combine the whole inches and sixteenths values to get the final result in feet-inch-sixteenths format. Enter the following formula in cell F1:
    Formula:
    =C1&"-"&TEXT(E1,"00")&"/16"

That's it! The final result will be displayed in cell F1 in the format of feet-inch-sixteenths.

Note: If you want to change the number of decimal places displayed in the final result, you can modify the "00" in the last formula to the desired number of decimal places. For example, if you want to display three decimal places, change "00" to "000".
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Is this any good?

=TEXT(INT(D18)," 0 ""feet """)&INT(MOD(D18,1)*12)&"
"&TEXT(MOD(D18*12,1),"0/16")&" inches"

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"tv" wrote in message
I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"tv" wrote in message
I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?

Are you able to write the formula on paper first?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Decimal value in A1, formula in B1:

=INT(A1) & " ft " & TEXT(MOD(A1,1)*12, "# ??/16") & "in"

A1=2.345 (ft)

B1=2 ft 4 2/16 in

HTH

"tv" wrote:

I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Whilst I concede that yours is much better than mine, it can still be
improved upon <vbg

=INT(A1) & " ft " & TEXT(MOD(A1,1)*12, "# ??/16 ""in""")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"tv" wrote:

I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to

convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tv

Thamk you for this formula
however, i would like my result to read in the following format (ex: 4-6-8)

can you help me tune the formula

thanks

"tv" wrote:

I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:27:26 -0800, tv wrote:

Thamk you for this formula
however, i would like my result to read in the following format (ex: 4-6-8)

can you help me tune the formula

thanks

Here's one way:

=INT(A1)&"-"&INT(MOD(A1,1)*12)&"-"&ROUND(MOD(MOD(A1,1)*12,1)*16,0)

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found your question very similar to one our school nurse has posed: When
our gym teachers measure students they report students' height in inches only
ie 61". Might their be a formula that would convert 61 inches (61") to 5' 1"?
--
Thanks for your help

"tv" wrote:

I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:31:03 -0800, John A
wrote:

I found your question very similar to one our school nurse has posed: When
our gym teachers measure students they report students' height in inches only
ie 61". Might their be a formula that would convert 61 inches (61") to 5' 1"?

Assuming whole inches only:

=INT(A1/12)&" ft, "&MOD(A1,12)&" inches"

or,

=INT(A1/12)*100+MOD(A1,12)

and custom format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0' 00\"

If you want to report to tenths of an inch, change the Custom format to
0' 00.0\"

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Converting inches to feet + inches

Do I simply enter the formula you recommended into the formula bar in cell A1
(example) and then try entering an inches number 55 or 55" (in cell A1) and
it should convert to 4'7"?
--
Thanks for your help

wrote:

I found your question very similar to one our school nurse has posed: When
our gym teachers measure students they report students' height in inches only
ie 61". Might their be a formula that would convert 61 inches (61") to 5' 1"?

Assuming whole inches only:

=INT(A1/12)&" ft, "&MOD(A1,12)&" inches"

or,

=INT(A1/12)*100+MOD(A1,12)

and custom format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0' 00\"

If you want to report to tenths of an inch, change the Custom format to
0' 00.0\"

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ron: I didn't read your complete response... I will try it.
--
Thanks for your help

wrote:

I found your question very similar to one our school nurse has posed: When
our gym teachers measure students they report students' height in inches only
ie 61". Might their be a formula that would convert 61 inches (61") to 5' 1"?

Assuming whole inches only:

=INT(A1/12)&" ft, "&MOD(A1,12)&" inches"

or,

=INT(A1/12)*100+MOD(A1,12)

and custom format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0' 00\"

If you want to report to tenths of an inch, change the Custom format to
0' 00.0\"

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Enter the formula in B1 then enter your number 55 in A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:11:01 -0800, John A
wrote:

Do I simply enter the formula you recommended into the formula bar in cell A1
(example) and then try entering an inches number 55 or 55" (in cell A1) and
it should convert to 4'7"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

clarification request:
Using your first formula... would the entire formula including the
characters beyond the comma (,) go into the formula bar with cell A1
selected? Also, is there a space after the comma followed by
"&MOD(A1,12)&"inches"?
--
Thanks for your help

wrote:

I found your question very similar to one our school nurse has posed: When
our gym teachers measure students they report students' height in inches only
ie 61". Might their be a formula that would convert 61 inches (61") to 5' 1"?

Assuming whole inches only:

=INT(A1/12)&" ft, "&MOD(A1,12)&" inches"

or,

=INT(A1/12)*100+MOD(A1,12)

and custom format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0' 00\"

If you want to report to tenths of an inch, change the Custom format to
0' 00.0\"

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'll try it Gord.
--
Thanks for your help

wrote:

Do I simply enter the formula you recommended into the formula bar in cell A1
(example) and then try entering an inches number 55 or 55" (in cell A1) and
it should convert to 4'7"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It worked!!! Fabulous !!!! Thanks
--
Thanks for your help

wrote:

Do I simply enter the formula you recommended into the formula bar in cell A1
(example) and then try entering an inches number 55 or 55" (in cell A1) and
it should convert to 4'7"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:34:00 -0800, John A
wrote:

clarification request:
Using your first formula... would the entire formula including the
characters beyond the comma (,) go into the formula bar with cell A1
selected?

No. The formula refers to cell A1 which would be where you put your data. If
you have a formula in the cell, and then overwrite it with data, you no longer
have the formula.

But of course you use the entire formula, if you want the result in feet and
inches.

Also, is there a space after the comma followed by "&MOD(A1,12)&"inches"?

Yes.

--
Thanks for your help

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

THe space thing was holding me up. I finally tried it with spaces and it
worked. I wasn't aware spaces were allowed in Excel formulas. 'ya learn
something everyday. Many thanks
--
Thanks for your help

wrote:

clarification request:
Using your first formula... would the entire formula including the
characters beyond the comma (,) go into the formula bar with cell A1
selected?

No. The formula refers to cell A1 which would be where you put your data. If
you have a formula in the cell, and then overwrite it with data, you no longer
have the formula.

But of course you use the entire formula, if you want the result in feet and
inches.

Also, is there a space after the comma followed by "&MOD(A1,12)&"inches"?

Yes.

--
Thanks for your help

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:30:01 -0800, John A
wrote:

THe space thing was holding me up. I finally tried it with spaces and it
worked. I wasn't aware spaces were allowed in Excel formulas. 'ya learn
something everyday. Many thanks
--
Thanks for your help

You're welcome.
The space is merely to "make it look good". It is entirely optional.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am in dire need of a How To Question regarding this Discussion group. I
would like to pose a question but when I click the NewQuestions button
nothing happens... no window opens for me to enter my question it... that's
why I am piggy-backing on this post...
--
Thanks for your help

"tv" wrote:

I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ignore the flaky web interface to the newsgroup, and use a news server.
Outlook Express will do. Try news:microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it asks for a news server, try msnews.microsoft.com
--
David Biddulph

"tv" wrote:

I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to
convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One alternative, if you prefer using the internet, is to go through
Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c.excel.misc/?

Hope this helps.

Pete

"tv" wrote:

I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

Can someone help me ?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you just want feet and inches from a decimal, use this formula:
(decimal in A1)
=INT(A1)&"'-"&TEXT(MOD(A1),1)*12,"#??")&""""
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Been having a nap Buster<g

This was a March 2007 original which was resurrected by another poster in
November 2007.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP