Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Phyllis

Default How do I force values in a cell in excel?

I have a simple list of categories that I have put into a drop down list. I
have checked off the Error Alert box under validation and entered a warning
message. I want to force the user to either choose a category from the drop
down list or type it exactly as it appears in the drop down. From all I've
read it seems that all I have to do is check that Error Alert box, but it's
not working. I have tested it and when I enter something that is not part of
the list it just lets me continue. No warning message or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Phyllis
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Be sure you set the Data Validation feature for "Allow List".....then it
will only permit those items on the list, which you establish elsewhere, out
of the way.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Phyllis" wrote:

I have a simple list of categories that I have put into a drop down list. I
have checked off the Error Alert box under validation and entered a warning
message. I want to force the user to either choose a category from the drop
down list or type it exactly as it appears in the drop down. From all I've
read it seems that all I have to do is check that Error Alert box, but it's
not working. I have tested it and when I enter something that is not part of
the list it just lets me continue. No warning message or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Phyllis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

I the "Show Error alert after invalid data is entered" checked off? If it
isn't, no error message will appear.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Phyllis" wrote:

I have a simple list of categories that I have put into a drop down list. I
have checked off the Error Alert box under validation and entered a warning
message. I want to force the user to either choose a category from the drop
down list or type it exactly as it appears in the drop down. From all I've
read it seems that all I have to do is check that Error Alert box, but it's
not working. I have tested it and when I enter something that is not part of
the list it just lets me continue. No warning message or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Phyllis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Have you validated the "list" by clicking it in to the "source" window
provided?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Phyllis" wrote:

I have "List" chosen.

Phyllis

"Phyllis" wrote:

I have a simple list of categories that I have put into a drop down list. I
have checked off the Error Alert box under validation and entered a warning
message. I want to force the user to either choose a category from the drop
down list or type it exactly as it appears in the drop down. From all I've
read it seems that all I have to do is check that Error Alert box, but it's
not working. I have tested it and when I enter something that is not part of
the list it just lets me continue. No warning message or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Phyllis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

How is your list referred to

=$A$1:$A$10

=MyList

or something else, if you type in the list values directly you don't need
the equal sign
but you need to use comma as delimiter

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Phyllis" wrote in message
Yes, this is checked off.

Phyllis

"Phyllis" wrote:

I have a simple list of categories that I have put into a drop down
list. I
have checked off the Error Alert box under validation and entered a
warning
message. I want to force the user to either choose a category from the
drop
down list or type it exactly as it appears in the drop down. From all
I've
read it seems that all I have to do is check that Error Alert box, but
it's
not working. I have tested it and when I enter something that is not
part of
the list it just lets me continue. No warning message or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Phyllis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

The user can always clear contents of that data|validation cell.

You could have some worksheet event that issues a warning when it's cleared...

But I just like to use an adjacent cell with:

=if(a1<"","","Please fill in A1!")

I make it big, bold, red letters.

Phyllis wrote:

I have a simple list of categories that I have put into a drop down list. I
have checked off the Error Alert box under validation and entered a warning
message. I want to force the user to either choose a category from the drop
down list or type it exactly as it appears in the drop down. From all I've
read it seems that all I have to do is check that Error Alert box, but it's
not working. I have tested it and when I enter something that is not part of
the list it just lets me continue. No warning message or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Phyllis

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Phyllis

I'm not sure if I know what you mean by validating it in the "source" window,
but I do have the list name in the "source" section of the "data validation"
area. Is this what you mean?

Phyllis

"CLR" wrote:

Have you validated the "list" by clicking it in to the "source" window
provided?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Phyllis" wrote:

I have "List" chosen.

Phyllis

"Phyllis" wrote:

I have a simple list of categories that I have put into a drop down list. I
have checked off the Error Alert box under validation and entered a warning
message. I want to force the user to either choose a category from the drop
down list or type it exactly as it appears in the drop down. From all I've
read it seems that all I have to do is check that Error Alert box, but it's
not working. I have tested it and when I enter something that is not part of
the list it just lets me continue. No warning message or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Phyllis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Phyllis

Hi Peo,

I refer to my list by: =Category

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

How is your list referred to

=$A$1:$A$10

=MyList

or something else, if you type in the list values directly you don't need
the equal sign
but you need to use comma as delimiter

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon