Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tfanatik

Default How to format a phone number in Excel

I can't get a column of numbers, 9999999999, to format as a phone number,
(999) 999-9999. I've tried phone number format, as well as what I found in
this discussion group and nothing has worked. Any new suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Miguel Zapico

You may try a formula like this:
=TEXT(A1,"(###) ###-####")

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"tfanatik" wrote:

I can't get a column of numbers, 9999999999, to format as a phone number,
(999) 999-9999. I've tried phone number format, as well as what I found in
this discussion group and nothing has worked. Any new suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

It seems like your phone "number" is actually numeric text.

Try this:
Select the cell(s)
Format them to Phone Number
<fomat<cells<number tab
Category: Special
Type: phone number

While the cells are still selected...
<data<text-to-columnsClick [Finish]

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"tfanatik" wrote:

I can't get a column of numbers, 9999999999, to format as a phone number,
(999) 999-9999. I've tried phone number format, as well as what I found in
this discussion group and nothing has worked. Any new suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Daniel CHEN

Most likely 9999999999 is stored in your column as texts not numbers.
First convert them to numbers then use phone number format.

To convert to numbers, try this:
1) In any cell type number 1;
2) Press Ctrl+C to copy the cell;
3) Select the whole range which contains the text which you want to convert
to numbers;
4) Go to menu: Edit/Paste Special, check Paste - Values, Operation -
Multiple.
This will multiply all cells by 1 and automatically convert those texts into
numbers.

--
Best regards,
---

=================================
"tfanatik" wrote in message
I can't get a column of numbers, 9999999999, to format as a phone number,
(999) 999-9999. I've tried phone number format, as well as what I found in
this discussion group and nothing has worked. Any new suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

And yet another way......

="("&LEFT(A1,3)&") "&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3