Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
flyboy06

Default How do I autosave a unique Excel file in the file format 03F67000

We have an Excel file that saves a unique copy of the data each time it
closes. This leaves an audit trail of changes over time. The save happens
automatically and creates a file in the format of "03F67000". How can I make
this happen with new files I create ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Dave Peterson

This is not behavior you want...

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

You may want to spend some time to find out why this is happening.

=====

And you may want to tell excel to automatically create a backup file when you
save.

File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options
Check the Always create backup box.

This is a workbook setting and needs to be set for each workbook.

--

Dave Peterson