Kate Choi

Default hyperlink error: "Cannot open the specified file"

Using excel 2002 in XP and when trying to create a hyperlink using the
worksheet function I get the following message:

"Cannot open the specified file"

I'm sure my syntax is correct and just to make sure, I
even created a workbook called "Budget" and copied the Microsoft help
example:

=HYPERLINK("[Budget]June!E56", E56)

and still got that message.
I can hyperlink each cell by right clicking and creating one, but I have a
lot of hyperlinks to do and using the function would be much more efficient.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

Dave Peterson

I think I'd build the link for when the workbook is closed:

=HYPERLINK('C:\My Documents\excel\[book2.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1,"a")

worked ok for me.

--

Dave Peterson