BeefmanSteve

Default How does Excel 2003 calculate trendlines with respect to axes?

I'm using Excel 2003. Excel is giving me the wrong equation for the
trendline it produced. The curve resembles a parabola pointed downward with
a positive offset on the y-axis. The x-axis has points -80, -70, -60, ...,
60, 70, 80. I changed the y-axis so that it crosses the x-axis at point
zero. I do not believe that zero on my x-axis is zero according to the way
it comes up with the trendline equation. I wish to figure out how to set up
my x-axis with positive and negative numbers and still have the equation for
the trendline be accurate.
Jon Peltier

Steve -

Make sure you're using an XY Scatter chart, and not a line chart.

Make sure you are looking at the trendline formula with sufficient decimal places to
assess the coefficients.

If you're making a linear or poly fit, the sign of the data values will not affect
the accuracy of the coefficients calculated.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services