Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Beginner Excel User

Default how do I protect formula's only, not entire sheet or book?

In excel I created a very simple stat sheet for my staff to report their
stats as well as show whether or not they are meeting standards for specific
functions. On occasion the staff add a note to the sheet. If I protect the
sheet they can't add any notes. I want to protect the formulas only so they
can't edit or delete them accidently. Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Paul B

Beginner,

By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the
go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want,
now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this
protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy,
but it will work for most people .

If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
that you locked can not be edited
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Beginner Excel User" <Beginner Excel wrote
in message ...
In excel I created a very simple stat sheet for my staff to report their
stats as well as show whether or not they are meeting standards for
specific
functions. On occasion the staff add a note to the sheet. If I protect
the
sheet they can't add any notes. I want to protect the formulas only so
they
can't edit or delete them accidently. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Beginner Excel User

Thank you ever so much. Your directions were perfect and it was exactly what
I was attempting to do. I tried it today. I'm excited. I know excel can do
so much, just don't quite know how right now. Slow steps.

Again thank you..
(April) Beginner user