Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete Walburn

Default Protect Data, but allow sorting

Hello,

In Excel 2003 is it possible to protect the data in a sheet, but to allow
the data to be sorted?

In the Protect Sheet command, it indicates that this facility exists, but
when I try to do a sort it won't do it until the sheet is unprotected.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Make sure that there's an empty column between the range to be sorted and any
"adjacent" data.

If you have a locked cell butting up to the range to be sorted, excel yells!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete Walburn

Dave,

I'm afraid that even with no data in any adjacent cells, I get the same
problem.

I need to have the cells protected, so that the data cannot be changed, but
allow the column to be sorted.

Pete

Pete Walburn wrote:

Hello,

In Excel 2003 is it possible to protect the data in a sheet, but to allow
the data to be sorted?

In the Protect Sheet command, it indicates that this facility exists, but
when I try to do a sort it won't do it until the sheet is unprotected.

Pete

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Oh, the cells need to be unlocked in that range to sort.

I think I'd do what was suggested in your other thread if you have to have the
cells locked.

Pete Walburn wrote:

Hello,

In Excel 2003 is it possible to protect the data in a sheet, but to allow
the data to be sorted?

In the Protect Sheet command, it indicates that this facility exists, but
when I try to do a sort it won't do it until the sheet is unprotected.

Pete

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
HRman

Hi,

I have had similar instances, and have got round it by writing a macro to do
the sort, and making themacro available on a menu/button or control key
sequence.

HRman