Alfred S C Lee

Default Problem with xlusrgal.xls file

I'm using Windows 2000 and Excel 97. During X'mas I started learning
charting - J. Walkenbach's Excel Charts (2003). Got stuck after Chapter 2,
after I had entered the user-defined data (parameters) and save them in the
xlusrgal.xls file. When doing Chapter 3 exercise (plotting other charts
using new data), I was stuck with my previously user-defined instructions.
Did try to locate and erase that file but in vain as I can't find it in any
folder - appears to be a hidden somewhere.

Two questions: (a) How can I free myself by locating the file and
deleting/changing the parameters? (b) Can I create several such user-defined
function files, each one for a different chart type and how to do it?

I'm an experienced Word user but a beginner in Excel. Please help - in
elementary terms pl.

John Mansfield

Hi Alfred,

To locate the file, I would first do a search of the drive that you think
it's in. As you noted, if you have already created a user-defined chart the
file it should be stored with a name called "xlusrgal.xls". Also please note
that this file will only exist if you have previously successfully created a
user-defined chart. If you do a search and can't find the file, could it be
that you might had thought that you created a user-defined chart but really
didn't?

If you search for the file and can't find, I would create another
user-defined chart for the sole purpose of testing where the file location
might be. To create the test user-defined chart, create any chart on an
empty worksheet. Activate the chart by clicking on it, go to the standard
toolbar, and click on Chart - Chart Type - Custom Types - Select From:
User-Defined. Choose a name for the chart and a short description. Hit the
OK button. At this time the "xlusrgal.xls" file should be created if it has
not been already. Now search you hard drive again for the "xlusrgal.xls"
file. Hopefully you can find it so that you can make changes.

Concerning your second question, Excel will store all of your user-defined
charts in the "xlusrgal.xls" regardless of how many you make. As far as I
know, there is no option that allows you to change the file name so that you
can save certain user-defined charts to files with different names. However,
you can always copy formatting from custom charts to other charts without the
need for a user defined chart. There are two methods you can use to copy the
formatting of one chart to another:

(1) Activate the chart that you want to copy the formatting from by
clicking on it. Press the Ctrl key and drag a new chart to a different
location. Then, change the chart series to the new source.
(2) Assuming you already have two or more charts built, activate the chart
that you want to copy the formatting from by clicking on it. Hit Edit -
Copy. Click on the chart that you want to copy the formatting to, go to the
standard toolbar, and hit Edit - Paste Special - Formats. Unfortunately,
pasting one chart's formats onto another chart also pastes the text of the
chart title and axis titles onto the titles of the other chart which may not
be the desired result.

I hope this helps.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Alfred S C Lee" wrote:

I'm using Windows 2000 and Excel 97. During X'mas I started learning
charting - J. Walkenbach's Excel Charts (2003). Got stuck after Chapter 2,
after I had entered the user-defined data (parameters) and save them in the
xlusrgal.xls file. When doing Chapter 3 exercise (plotting other charts
using new data), I was stuck with my previously user-defined instructions.
Did try to locate and erase that file but in vain as I can't find it in any
folder - appears to be a hidden somewhere.

Two questions: (a) How can I free myself by locating the file and
deleting/changing the parameters? (b) Can I create several such user-defined
function files, each one for a different chart type and how to do it?

I'm an experienced Word user but a beginner in Excel. Please help - in
elementary terms pl.

Jon Peltier

Alfred -

You're better off not trying to hack into the file by yourself, at the risk of
losing all of its functionality.

To remove a user-defined chart type, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, click on
the Custom Types tab, choose the User Defined option, select the type you want to
remove, and click the Delete button.

There's no reason to remove one to make room for another, as John points out, since
you can add a large number of user defined chart types.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services