Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jackie D

Default Selecting alternate cells

I'm using Office 2003 with XP Home.

I like the function in excel to generate numbers in a series. This is
achieved by selecting a an unbroken series of cells first and then going to
Edit/Fill/Series.

What I would like to do now is place the series of numbers in alternate
cells. Is this achievable? If it is, how do I select alternate cells? I can't
figure out a way to do it.

Many thanks
JD
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try this:

Put your start value in the first cell
Select the range to be filled

<edit<fill<series
Step Value: 0.5
Click the [OK] button

With the range still selected......
<edit<replace
Find What: *.5
Replace with: (leave this blank)
Click the [Replace All] button

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Jackie D" wrote:

I'm using Office 2003 with XP Home.

I like the function in excel to generate numbers in a series. This is
achieved by selecting a an unbroken series of cells first and then going to
Edit/Fill/Series.

What I would like to do now is place the series of numbers in alternate
cells. Is this achievable? If it is, how do I select alternate cells? I can't
figure out a way to do it.

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CarlosAntenna

Another way:

First value in A1, next value in A3.
Select A1:A4
Grab the fill handle and drag it down as far as you need.

--
Carlos

"Jackie D" wrote in message
I'm using Office 2003 with XP Home.

I like the function in excel to generate numbers in a series. This is
achieved by selecting a an unbroken series of cells first and then going

Edit/Fill/Series.

What I would like to do now is place the series of numbers in alternate
cells. Is this achievable? If it is, how do I select alternate cells? I

can't
figure out a way to do it.

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jackie D

Maybe it's early in the morning (7.23 am in the UK to be precise) but I don't
think I understand.
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message
I'm using Office 2003 with XP Home.

I like the function in excel to generate numbers in a series. This is
achieved by selecting a an unbroken series of cells first and then going

Edit/Fill/Series.

What I would like to do now is place the series of numbers in alternate
cells. Is this achievable? If it is, how do I select alternate cells? I

can't
figure out a way to do it.

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Jackie D" wrote:

I'm using Office 2003 with XP Home.

I like the function in excel to generate numbers in a series. This is
achieved by selecting a an unbroken series of cells first and then going to
Edit/Fill/Series.

What I would like to do now is place the series of numbers in alternate
cells. Is this achievable? If it is, how do I select alternate cells? I can't
figure out a way to do it.

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Carlos Antenna

Assuming you want to number every other row beginning with 1 and increment
the number by 1 each time:

Enter 1 in cell A1
Enter 2 in cell A3
Click in cell A1 and drag to cell A4
Now you should have four cells shaded with a small square at the lower right
corner of the selected area (that's the fill handle).
Click on the fill handle and drag it down the column as far as you wish.
The numbering will follow the pattern you have set up in the first four
cells.

--
Carlos