Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
n21 n21 is offline

Default basics?

I am looking to multply one column by another in each row for a long set of
data.
Example:
A B C

5 2 10
3 4 12
2 3 6

Instead of having to enter a product formula in each cell of column c, is
there a way to do this for every row in the data set in a function?

Thanks for the help,

Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Nick, put you formula in C1, select C1, click on the black little square on
the bottom right, click the mouse and drag down as far as needed
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"n21" wrote in message
I am looking to multply one column by another in each row for a long set of
data.
Example:
A B C

5 2 10
3 4 12
2 3 6

Instead of having to enter a product formula in each cell of column c, is
there a way to do this for every row in the data set in a function?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes, three ways off the top of my head, but I am not using a function. Bob, is there a function?

(1) Click and drag the fill handle
(2) Double click on fill handle if same-length columns
(3) Control + enter

Following from Excel help:-

Fill formulas into adjacent cells
1.. Select the cell that contains the formula that you want to fill into adjacent cells.
2.. Drag the fill handle (fill handle: The small black square in the lower-right corner of the selection. When you point to the fill handle, the pointer changes to a black cross.) across the cells that you want to fill.
3.. You can use the Auto Fill Options button , which appears after you drag the fill handle, to choose how to fill the selection. For example, you can choose Fill Formatting Only or Fill Without Formatting.
Note You can also fill the active cell with the contents of the cell above it. Point to Fill on the Edit menu, and then click Down (or press CTRL+D). To fill the active cell with the contents of the cell to the left, point to Fill on the Edit menu, and then click Right (or press CTRL+R).

Tip You can automatically fill a formula downward, for all adjacent cells that it applies to, by double-clicking the fill handle of the first cell that contains the formula. For example, you have numbers in cells A1:A15 and B1:B15, and you type the formula =A1+B1 into cell C1. To copy that formula into cells C2:C15, select cell C1 and double-click the fill handle.

Following from Microsoft Support:-

Enter the same text or formula in a range of cells
If you want to quickly enter the same text or the same formula in a range of cells, follow these steps: 1. Select the range of cells that you want to fill.
2. Type the text or formula but do not press ENTER. Instead, press CTRL+ENTER.
The data appears in the range that you selected.

Hope this helps.

Epinn

"n21" wrote in message ...
I am looking to multply one column by another in each row for a long set of
data.
Example:
A B C

5 2 10
3 4 12
2 3 6

Instead of having to enter a product formula in each cell of column c, is
there a way to do this for every row in the data set in a function?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes, but don't forget the basic one - copy and paste

This will change the cell references where applicable
The other methods come later.

Steve

"n21" wrote in message
I am looking to multply one column by another in each row for a long set
of
data.
Example:
A B C

5 2 10
3 4 12
2 3 6

Instead of having to enter a product formula in each cell of column c, is
there a way to do this for every row in the data set in a function?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

--
Steve (3)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes and KIS - Keep It Simple

Of course dragging and autofill are great, but they are all methods of
automating a copy/paste

Steve