Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP 2 workbooks

I'm trying to use VLOOKUP with two different workbooks, but I can't seem to
get it to work. I use VLOOKUP all the time with no issues, but I can't seem
to get it to work when linking two different workbooks. I have an original
workbook that we update and then one that has info copied from the original
workbook. Both have end dates and I tried using VLOOKUP in the copied file
to update the end dates to the dates in the original file (the one we
update). This is what my formula looks like:

=VLOOKUP(B2,'[A Fund List (1-20-09).xls]Fund List'!$A$2:$L$944,12,)

B2 is in the second workbook and the rest of the info is in the original
workbook. Is the problem the column index? Maybe?

Thanks for any help!
Holly
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Holly,

'I can't seem to get it to work' isn't very helpful, what result are you
getting? What result do you expect to get?

There's nothing wrong with your formula so check your data. Does b2 really
equal anything in column A of the workbook called 'A Fund List (1-20-09).xls'

Is there really a sheet called 'Fund List'?

Check for rogue spaces in column A and b2.

Mike

"Holly" wrote:

I'm trying to use VLOOKUP with two different workbooks, but I can't seem to
get it to work. I use VLOOKUP all the time with no issues, but I can't seem
to get it to work when linking two different workbooks. I have an original
workbook that we update and then one that has info copied from the original
workbook. Both have end dates and I tried using VLOOKUP in the copied file
to update the end dates to the dates in the original file (the one we
update). This is what my formula looks like:

=VLOOKUP(B2,'[A Fund List (1-20-09).xls]Fund List'!$A$2:$L$944,12,)

B2 is in the second workbook and the rest of the info is in the original
workbook. Is the problem the column index? Maybe?

Thanks for any help!
Holly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mike,

The data that I'm looking for in the A-Fund list is in column B, not A. So
it works now, duh! Thank you!

Holly