Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Combine month day and year from separate columns in to one cell

I have the month (October), day (3), and year (2005) contained in three
cells. I want to combine them into one cell where I can have the date as
10/3/2005. I have been unsuccessful using concatenate because I cannot
change the format of the finished project from 10/3/2005 to Oct-3,2005
etc.... I need to perform this so that I can calculate the days between the
specified date and a start date.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Combine month day and year from separate columns in to one cell

To summarize:

To combine the month, day, and year into one cell:
Code:
=TEXT(A1,"mm")&"/"&TEXT(B1,"d")&"/"&C1
To change the format of the date:
1. Select the cell with the date you want to format.
2. Right-click and select Format Cells.
3. In the Format Cells dialog box, select the Number tab.
4. In the Category list, select Date.
5. In the Type list, select the format you want.
6. Click OK.

To calculate the number of days between the specified date and a start date:
Code:
=DATEDIF(D1,E1,"d")
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=date(year,month,day)

assuming you have on a1 2005; b1 10; c1 3

use =date(a1,b1,c1)

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Thanks, JH" escreveu:

I have the month (October), day (3), and year (2005) contained in three
cells. I want to combine them into one cell where I can have the date as
10/3/2005. I have been unsuccessful using concatenate because I cannot
change the format of the finished project from 10/3/2005 to Oct-3,2005
etc.... I need to perform this so that I can calculate the days between the
specified date and a start date.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With
A1: (a month name....eg October)
B1: (a day of the month...eg 3
C1: (a year......eg 2005)

This formula returns a data based on those inputs:

Format D1 as a date.

In the above example, D1 returns 10/03/2005.

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.

Regards,

Ron