Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel screen capture to capture cells and row and column headings

I am writing a document and want to illustrate it using Excel screen
captures. I want to capture just the row and column headings along
with the Excel screen itself. I know I can do a PrintScreen or Alt
+PrintScreen and Ctrl+V it in Paint, but this usually includes the
stuff above the column headings. Within Paint, I then have to define
the area I want to cut, and paste it into my Word document. The
cutting and pasting from Paint is a manual thing and is not 100%
precise.

Is there anything I can do in Excel to get the results I want? Is
there any software out there that I can get that does this?

Many thanks for any information!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you have Microsoft Photo Editor? It's part of the Office Suite. I use it
to post sceencaps quite often. Like this one:

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1644/sumif2ok8.jpg

You'll notice that one includes the formula bar but you can select that out.
If you do a Google search you'll find many free photo editors. A popular
free one is Irfanview. A good commercial (costs money!) sreencap tool is
Snagit.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jayray" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am writing a document and want to illustrate it using Excel screen
captures. I want to capture just the row and column headings along
with the Excel screen itself. I know I can do a PrintScreen or Alt
+PrintScreen and Ctrl+V it in Paint, but this usually includes the
stuff above the column headings. Within Paint, I then have to define
the area I want to cut, and paste it into my Word document. The
cutting and pasting from Paint is a manual thing and is not 100%
precise.

Is there anything I can do in Excel to get the results I want? Is
there any software out there that I can get that does this?

Many thanks for any information!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jayray -

For pre-2007 Excel:

File | Page Setup | Sheet | Row and column headings (and Gridlines).

Select range, hold down Shift key, and choose Edit | Copy Picture | As shown
when printed.

For Excel 2007, post again.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"jayray" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am writing a document and want to illustrate it using Excel screen
captures. I want to capture just the row and column headings along
with the Excel screen itself. I know I can do a PrintScreen or Alt
+PrintScreen and Ctrl+V it in Paint, but this usually includes the
stuff above the column headings. Within Paint, I then have to define
the area I want to cut, and paste it into my Word document. The
cutting and pasting from Paint is a manual thing and is not 100%
precise.

Is there anything I can do in Excel to get the results I want? Is
there any software out there that I can get that does this?

Many thanks for any information!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are doing any sort of screen captures, then you need SnagIT by
TechSmith (www.snagit.com). It is brain dead easy to use and remarkably
flexible in what it can capture (screen, region, window, menu dropdown,
etc). It can save in any picture format you need (jpeg, gif, png, etc). And
for just US$40, it is a steal. It is one of the "must have" tools for any
developer.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"jayray" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am writing a document and want to illustrate it using Excel screen
captures. I want to capture just the row and column headings along
with the Excel screen itself. I know I can do a PrintScreen or Alt
+PrintScreen and Ctrl+V it in Paint, but this usually includes the
stuff above the column headings. Within Paint, I then have to define
the area I want to cut, and paste it into my Word document. The
cutting and pasting from Paint is a manual thing and is not 100%
precise.

Is there anything I can do in Excel to get the results I want? Is
there any software out there that I can get that does this?

Many thanks for any information!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 1, 7:21 am, "Chip Pearson" wrote:
If you are doing any sort of screen captures, then you need SnagIT by
TechSmith (www.snagit.com). It is brain dead easy to use and remarkably
flexible in what it can capture (screen, region, window, menu dropdown,
etc). It can save in any picture format you need (jpeg, gif, png, etc). And
for just US$40, it is a steal. It is one of the "must have" tools for any
developer.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years
Pearson Software Consultingwww.cpearson.com
(email on the web site)

"jayray" wrote in message

ps.com...

I am writing a document and want to illustrate it using Excel screen
captures. I want to capture just the row and column headings along
with the Excel screen itself. I know I can do a PrintScreen or Alt
+PrintScreen and Ctrl+V it in Paint, but this usually includes the
stuff above the column headings. Within Paint, I then have to define
the area I want to cut, and paste it into my Word document. The
cutting and pasting from Paint is a manual thing and is not 100%
precise.

Is there anything I can do in Excel to get the results I want? Is
there any software out there that I can get that does this?

Many thanks for any information!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks all. I don't seem to have the Picture Editor. Next option: Yes,
I have used the cut and paste with the page setup to show the row and
column headings. Works. The result is very clear, but lack of shading
and uneven heaviness on the lines in the row and column headings are
negatives. Third option: Have found Snagit and seems to do the trick...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are simply trimming the sides off, why not just paste the screenshot
directly into Word and use the cropping tool on the Picture toolbar? It
bypasses Paint and the cropping tool is much easier to work with (IMO).

The cropping tool look like a square O with lines extended like a chain
link. When active, your cursor takes on that shape. Position your cursor
over the (middle) square selector on the side of your pasted picture and
move the side in to crop-out that portion of the picture.

--
HTH,
George

ps.com...