Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel adds quotation marks when pasting text

I have a spreadsheet that I export a portion of to .kml

The very first line is the xml declaration, but when I copy my range from
excel into a text editor, it adds in quotation marks where I don't want any.
I can't do something simple, like find and replace, because there are
quotation marks that I want to retain, but excel adds in a bunch that make
the file unusable.

For example, the first cell in my range contains this, just text, no formula:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?<kml
xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2"
xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"

When I copy that into any other program it comes out like this:

"<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?<kml
xmlns=""http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2""
xmlns:atom=""http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom""
"
Note all the extra quotation marks.

Is there any way to get around this infurating characteristic?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tested this on Excel 2003 and could not replicate the problem.

Assuming first and last quotes are put in by you, try searching for "" and
replacing with ".

Which version of Excel are you using?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am also using Excel 2003.

Shoot me an email and I can forward the sheet I am using if you want.

I will try to replace "" with ", I'll have to see if there are any other
adverse effects, because it doesn't seem to double them up when the quotes
are a result of a formula pulling from another cell. I tried to make my
problem cell a formula, but that didn't work.

"Sheeloo" wrote:

I tested this on Excel 2003 and could not replicate the problem.

Assuming first and last quotes are put in by you, try searching for "" and
replacing with ".

Which version of Excel are you using?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Find and replace does not work for two reasons.

The first is that this is a productivity tool, and I'd prefer not to have to
use a workaround every time I use it.

But aside from that, the program adds quotes in places where there were none
before, so they are not always doubled up. I can't just get rid of them all,
because the text does contain quotes that are necessary for the xml code to
work.

the cell in question (the one I've identified, but there may be more, I am
compiling the contents of about 500 cells with each "export") contains this
text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?<kml
xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2"
xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"

This is what shows up when I copied the cell and pasted it right into this
reply window:

"Sheeloo" wrote:

I tested this on Excel 2003 and could not replicate the problem.

Assuming first and last quotes are put in by you, try searching for "" and
replacing with ".

Which version of Excel are you using?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default line breaks in cells cause this problem

I was having this problem, have just found that it puts the extra quotes in because I had put line breaks (alt-enter) in the cells to make the xml neater.

Take the line breaks out and it will be fine.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What problem?

If you are replying to a previous post, you need to keep it in the same
thread rather than creating a new thread. Also, virtually everyone includes
the original post in their reply, as it helps follow the conversation.

Regards,
Fred.

.. .