Matt

Default Searching a cell for a certain character.

I would like to be able to search a cell for a certain "character" and if it
contains that character, I would like another cell to say one thing and if it
does not contain the Character I am looking for, the cell will say something
else.

I hope this says enough.

Ron de Bruin

Try this for the character r in D1

=IF(COUNTIF(D1,"*r*")=0,"not exist","exist")

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Matt" wrote in message
I would like to be able to search a cell for a certain "character" and if
it
contains that character, I would like another cell to say one thing and if
it
does not contain the Character I am looking for, the cell will say
something
else.

I hope this says enough.

Dave R.

The two most apparent options involve FIND or SEARCH.

FIND is case sensitive and SEARCH is not.

Here is sample formula
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("p",A1)),"say one thing","say something else")