Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mital

Default how to calculate the hours and minutes in excel

I am trying to calculate the total hours and minutes by weelky in excel. The
problem is if the hours are 10.5 ( 10hour and 30 minutes). IF i calculate the
10.5 by $14 and hour it gives me 147. but if i multiply 10.30 by 14, it gives
me 144.2. I am confused i don;t know what i should do. Please help me. Thank
u in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
davidderolph

You are confusing minutes with decimals. 30 minutes is 1/2 or 0.5 hours. 15
minutes is 1/4 or 0.25 hours, etc.

"Mital" wrote:

I am trying to calculate the total hours and minutes by weelky in excel. The
problem is if the hours are 10.5 ( 10hour and 30 minutes). IF i calculate the
10.5 by $14 and hour it gives me 147. but if i multiply 10.30 by 14, it gives
me 144.2. I am confused i don;t know what i should do. Please help me. Thank
u in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
davidderolph

Hmmm, I already replied but I don't see my reply to you. Since this is my
first time using this forum, I'll reply again. If the delay is just a normal
time lag here, then we'll finally see two posts from me with duplicate info.

You're confusing minutes with decimals. 30 minutes is 1/2 or 0.5 hours. 15
"Mital" wrote:

I am trying to calculate the total hours and minutes by weelky in excel. The
problem is if the hours are 10.5 ( 10hour and 30 minutes). IF i calculate the
10.5 by $14 and hour it gives me 147. but if i multiply 10.30 by 14, it gives
me 144.2. I am confused i don;t know what i should do. Please help me. Thank
u in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

Check out the following URL for some useful date & time calculations for
Excel users. I think you'll find it quite useful.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm
--
Kevin Backmann