Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nisse

Default Change "interface" language?

Hi,

I'm using the Swedish version of MS Excel (2003), and I just realized that
it does not understand english names for the functions (such as #IF, #SUM
etc), instead I have to write them in Swedish.

Well, this is really annoying since I'm learning Excel formulas from an
english book and each time I want to test the book examples I have to figure
out the swedish "function names".

So, my question: Is it possible to change the current language (Swedish) to
English (so that I can use english function names)?

Cheers,
Mikael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Hi Mikael,

I don't think so, but you can trick it to find out.

If you go into the VB IDE (Alt-F11), and open the Immediate Window (Ctrl-G),
and in there type say

Activecell.Formula = "=SUM(A1,B3,C10)"

and then go back to Excel and voila (or whatever the Swedish is), you will
see the Swedish equivalent.

Not thet my formula includes commas. You have to do this in VBA even if you
use semi-colons in your Excel.

Here are a few to get you started

ABS ABS
AND OCH
AVERAGE MEDEL
CEILING RUNDA.UPP
CELL CELL
CHAR TECKENKOD
CHOOSE VÄLJ
COLUMN KOLUMN
COLUMNS KOLUMNER
COUNT ANTAL
COUNTA ANTALV
COUNTBLANK ANTAL.TOMMA
COUNTIF ANTAL.OM
DATE DATUM
DATEDIF DATEDIF
DATESTRING DATESTRING
DATEVALUE DATUMVÄRDE
DAY DAG
EVEN JÄMN
EXACT EXAKT
EXP EXP
FACT FAKULTET
FALSE FALSKT
FIND HITTA
FLOOR RUNDA.NER
FREQUENCY FREKVENS
HLOOKUP LETAKOLUMN
HOUR TIMME
IF OM
INDEX INDEX
INDIRECT INDIREKT
ISERR ÄRF
ISERROR ÄRFEL
ISEVEN ÄRJÄMN
ISNUMBER ÄRTAL
ISODD ÄRUDDA
LARGE STÖRSTA
LEFT VÄNSTER
LEN LÄNGD
LOOKUP LETAUPP
LOWER GEMENER
MATCH PASSA
MAX MAX
MID EXTEXT
MIN MIN
MINUTE MINUT
MOD REST
MONTH MÅNAD
NA SAKNAS
NETWORKDAYS NETTOARBETSDAGAR
NOMINAL NOMRÄNTA
NOT ICKE
NOW NU
ODD UDDA
OFFSET FÖRSKJUTNING
OR ELLER
PROPER INITIAL
RAND SLUMP
RANDBETWEEN SLUMP.MELLAN
RANK RANG
REPLACE ERSÄTT
RIGHT HÖGER
ROUNDDOWN AVRUNDA.NEDÅT
ROUNDUP AVRUNDA.UPPÅT
ROW RAD
ROWS RADER
SEARCH SÖK
SECOND SEKUND
SMALL MINSTA
SUBSTITUTE BYT.UT
SUBTOTAL DELSUMMA
SUM SUMMA
SUMIF SUMMA.OM
SUMPRODUCT PRODUKTSUMMA
TEXT TEXT
TIME KLOCKSLAG
TIMEVALUE TIDVÄRDE
TODAY IDAG
TRIM RENSA
TRUE SANT
UPPER VERSALER
VALUE TEXTNUM
VLOOKUP LETARAD
WEEKDAY VECKODAG
WEEKNUM VECKONR
WORKDAY ARBETSDAGAR
YEAR ÅR

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"nisse" wrote in message

I'm using the Swedish version of MS Excel (2003), and I just realized that
it does not understand english names for the functions (such as #IF, #SUM
etc), instead I have to write them in Swedish.

Well, this is really annoying since I'm learning Excel formulas from an
english book and each time I want to test the book examples I have to

figure
out the swedish "function names".

So, my question: Is it possible to change the current language (Swedish)

English (so that I can use english function names)?

Cheers,
Mikael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nisse

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your help. It works fine but it's quite time consuming (although
I'll probably end up learning the translations as I go by).

However, I'm leaning towards the possibility to exchange the swedish version
for an english version.

Question is: Do I have to purchase the English version or is there a
LANGUAGE PACK that I can download (and presumably use to change interface
language)?

Kindly,
Mikael

"nisse" wrote in message

I'm using the Swedish version of MS Excel (2003), and I just realized
that
it does not understand english names for the functions (such as #IF, #SUM
etc), instead I have to write them in Swedish.

Well, this is really annoying since I'm learning Excel formulas from an
english book and each time I want to test the book examples I have to

figure
out the swedish "function names".

So, my question: Is it possible to change the current language (Swedish)

English (so that I can use english function names)?

Cheers,
Mikael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

There is an Office 2003 Editions Multilingual User Interface Pac
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...ilability.mspx
But it seems it only comes with a couple of English language versionbs of
Office.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips