pwermuth

Default cell displays formula

Hello,

I sometimes run into this phenomena where I change a formula or type in
a new formula and suddenly Excel keeps displaying the formula instead of
results.

This usually happens with a few cells only, i.e. the majority of the
cells just display regular results while only the few affected ones
display the formulas.

I am not in formula auditing mode, so I believe this is pretty much an
Excel bug. But what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Peter

--
pwermuth
pwermuth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24997

Paul B

Peter, if the cell is formatted as text it will show the formula, could this
be the case?

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"pwermuth" wrote in
message ...

Hello,

I sometimes run into this phenomena where I change a formula or type in
a new formula and suddenly Excel keeps displaying the formula instead of
results.

This usually happens with a few cells only, i.e. the majority of the
cells just display regular results while only the few affected ones
display the formulas.

I am not in formula auditing mode, so I believe this is pretty much an
Excel bug. But what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Peter

--
pwermuth
pwermuth's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=387019

Dave Peterson

Sometimes excel likes to help.

Try this on a blank worksheet.
Put today's date in A1 (ctrl-; will work)
Put =A1 in B1

That value in B1 was formatted as a date.

Now format A2 as Text (format|Cells|number tab)
put ASDF in A2
put =A2 in B2
You get the nice result.

Now with B2 selected, hit F2, then enter (pretend you're editing the cell's
formula).

Excel saw the "sending" cell formatted as Text and changed B2 to Text.

The only thing you can do is reformat the formula cell and then F2|Enter to make
it a formula again.

(You can't stop this behavior (as far as I know).)

pwermuth wrote:

Hello,

I sometimes run into this phenomena where I change a formula or type in
a new formula and suddenly Excel keeps displaying the formula instead of
results.

This usually happens with a few cells only, i.e. the majority of the
cells just display regular results while only the few affected ones
display the formulas.

I am not in formula auditing mode, so I believe this is pretty much an
Excel bug. But what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Peter

--
pwermuth
pwermuth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24997
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=387019

--

Dave Peterson
pwermuth

Fantastic. Thank you. I have run into this problem sporadically and
never understood what was going on. I usually solved it by cutting and
pasting from another cell but sometimes that wasn't an option so this
really helps.

Just entering F2 and Enter alone is not enough though. I needed to
first revert the cell format back to General before doing that. Only
then did it work.