Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
macbone2002

Default Excel 2003 freeze panes won't freeze top row only

Using Excel2003, I have tried to freeze just the top row, and /or leftmost 3
columns as these have titles in. I have done this separately and together,
and in all cases Excel freezes the top half and the leftmost half of the
visible screen (top 15 rows, leftmost 7 columns).
I have also recorded this in a macro and viewed it. The VBA is only
selecting the row / column(s) I selected i.e.
Range("1:1").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
Range("A:C").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
Running this leads to the same result.
Any help please.

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Excel 2003 freeze panes won't freeze top row only

It sounds like you are experiencing an issue with Excel 2003's Freeze Panes feature. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Make sure that you have selected the cell immediately below the row you want to freeze. For example, if you want to freeze row 1, select cell A2.
  2. Try using the Freeze Top Row option instead of Freeze Panes. To do this, go to the View tab, click on Freeze Panes, and select Freeze Top Row.
  3. If the above steps do not work, try resetting Excel's settings to their default values. To do this, close Excel, then open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R. Type "
    Formula:
    excel.exe /unregserver
    " (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then type "
    Formula:
    excel.exe /regserver
    " (without the quotes) and press Enter again. This will reset Excel's settings to their default values.
  4. If none of the above steps work, you may need to upgrade to a newer version of Excel. Excel 2003 is no longer supported by Microsoft, so it may not work properly on newer operating systems.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue with freezing panes in Excel 2003.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi

You need to select row 2 not row 1.
Place your cursor in cell D2 and choose WindowsFreeze Panes

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"macbone2002" wrote in message
Using Excel2003, I have tried to freeze just the top row, and /or
leftmost 3
columns as these have titles in. I have done this separately and
together,
and in all cases Excel freezes the top half and the leftmost half of
the
visible screen (top 15 rows, leftmost 7 columns).
I have also recorded this in a macro and viewed it. The VBA is only
selecting the row / column(s) I selected i.e.
Range("1:1").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
Range("A:C").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True
Running this leads to the same result.
Any help please.

Junior Member

Talking

I know this post is ancient history, but some of still use Excel 2003, and this solution nails it. Thanks, Roger, wherever you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Govier View Post