LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster

Default chart from pivot data does not update x-axis bar chart values - bug

wondering if anyone can help with this unusual bug.

what i've got:
4 charts that reference calculations in a free area, which change dynamically based on selections in a pivot table on the top of the workbook -- this way i build "normal" dynamic charts off of a pivot table without having to use a pivot chart. this normally works 100% ok.

3 charts work perfectly fine but the 4th is not updating the x-values, even though the y-values update 100% ok. in other words, as i pivot on the table, the y-values change but the x values remain the same -- even though the cells they reference have changed. i tried using a named range for these cells, which did not work.

the chart that isn't working is a bar chart that shows category growth first and growth of individual brands below. if i remove the "category" x label from on top, the chart otherwise updates just fine. if i change the "category" x label to a blank cell or numeric value, the chart updates fine. leaving it as a text field or a cell reference to another text field is somehow causing the chart not to update when the referenced values change.

any clues??? i'm totally stuck.

jason gers
glaceau
whitestone, ny