Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Percentage between two numbers

Hi, i have this two situations:

2394 34 -98,58%
34 2394 6941,18%

This is the formulas i used:
=(B1-A1)/ABS(A1)
=(B2-A2)/ABS(A2)
I need a formula to calculate the percentage of differences between two
numbers even if the first is bigger than the second or the other way around.

This is how i need the final result to look:
2394 34 -98,58%
34 2394 +98,58%

Can this be done?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Percentages don't work that way. If your investment portfolio drops 50%
(from $10,000 to $5,000), you need a 100% increase to get back to your
starting position. Similarly, going from 2394 to 34 is a 98% decrease, but
to get from 34 back up to 2394, you need a 6941% increase. Your original
formulas are correct.

Regards,
Fred

"puiuluipui" wrote in message
Hi, i have this two situations:

2394 34 -98,58%
34 2394 6941,18%

This is the formulas i used:
=(B1-A1)/ABS(A1)
=(B2-A2)/ABS(A2)
I need a formula to calculate the percentage of differences between two
numbers even if the first is bigger than the second or the other way
around.

This is how i need the final result to look:
2394 34 -98,58%
34 2394 +98,58%

Can this be done?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could try the following formula instead...

=IF(A2B2,(B2-A2)/ABS(A2),ABS((A2-B2)/ABS(B2)))

and then set the custom format to +0,00%;-0,00%

Best of luck

"puiuluipui" wrote:

Hi, i have this two situations:

2394 34 -98,58%
34 2394 6941,18%

This is the formulas i used:
=(B1-A1)/ABS(A1)
=(B2-A2)/ABS(A2)
I need a formula to calculate the percentage of differences between two
numbers even if the first is bigger than the second or the other way around.

This is how i need the final result to look:
2394 34 -98,58%
34 2394 +98,58%

Can this be done?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, i understand your explication. Can you help me with a solution? I need to
make a comparison. I have two column representing sales value. In first
column i have february and in second column i have march. I need to know how
much the value of sales increased or decreased(%). How many times the value
increased or decreased(the sales increased 70.4 times).
Even though the formula is correct, i need a simple way for both
situations(2394 and 34 ; 34 and 2394). I need to know that one product
decreased and another increased sales value.(+ and -)

If i use the first formula in both situations, i will be very confused. I
need another way.
I just want to make a accountancy comparison between two columns.
Can you help me?
Thanks!

"Fred Smith" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You already have the correct formula. You are doing the "accountancy
comparison between the two columns". If you post back with sample data, and
the specific results you want in each situation, then maybe we can come up
with appropriate formulas.

"Fred Smith" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The thing is that is hard for me to interpret corectly both
situations(-98,58% ; 6941,18%)when actually both situations are identical. I
need to view datas something like : this product sales dropes with 35% and
the other increased with 59%, depending on sales.
I have in one worsheet all datas and in other i will have all the results. I
really don't know exactly what i want and how the statistic to look like. I
am gathering some datas for now. This thing with the percentage was one of
it. Maybe you have some links for accountancy comparison to give to me. I
will try to explain my table.
The datas looks like this:
february
code price sales $ quantity
230305 1.58 2394.68 1613
234404 2.20 1147.96 565
3019 0.88 1094.64 1307

march
code price sales $ quantity
230305 1.77 751.21 506
234404 3.03 0.00 0
3019 0.94 442.00 528
This datas ore one next to the other. February and to the right march.

In other sheet i need to make a sales comparison between this two month.
I really dont know what comparison to make. I am just gathering data about
how to make this to work. I guess this raport must be about the differences
between values ($), differences between quantity, percentage and the
diferences of price per unit.
I started with a question about percentage. I will need to look for the
rest. And i will return with some more questions when i will have an ideea
about how the comparison report will look like. If you can help me with some
links, i will apreciate. If you can help me with some ideas for the above
table, i will apreciate again. if not, thanks you for everything and for your
patience.
Thanks!

"Fred Smith" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, your formula result was:
2394 34 -98,58%
34 2394 +98,58%

Can a formula like this make the result look like this?
2394 34 -6941,18%
34 2394 +6941,18%

Can this be done?
Thanks!