Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default drop down list/typing item from list error

I have 2 lists set up. the first list, lets call it "junk" has a uniformed
structu two letters followed by 6 numbers, i.e. BG123456. I have a
second list, lets call it "dontwannawork" that is not uniformed; some numbers
and some letters with numbers, i.e. 9, 107, and BG654321.

Cell A1 has the "junk" list (dataverificationSource=junk). Cell A2 has
the "dontwannawork" work list (dataverificationSource=dontwannawork). Both
have the Error Alert checked "show error alert after invalid data is entered".

When I type and item from the junk list in cell A1 I do not get an error
message. I can either use the drop down list or just type in an item form
that list. However, when I do the same in cell A2 from the dontwannawork
list, I keep gettin error messages about the data not being valid. for
Example, I can select the "109" from the drop down list, but I can't type
"109" into the cell without getting that error message.

What is goin on here? Why is it I can type the selections for the "junk"
list, but I cannot for the "dontwannawork" list?

I'm sure the answer is right in front of me, but I quit smoking today and
I'm just a touch....edgy.

TIA,

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Does the error only happen when you type NUMBERS in the drop down cell?

If so, then that sounds like the source for the drop down is formatted as
TEXT. The 109 from the source list it TEXT but the 109 you're entering into
the cell is a NUMBER. These don't match!

Try this:

Select an empty cell that has never been used. Its default format is still
GENERAL.
Copy that empty cell: EditCopy
Now, select the range of cells that comprise the named range "dontwannawork"
Then do: EditPaste SpecialAddOK

This will change the format of "dontwannawork" to GENERAL and will convert
the TEXT numbers to NUMERIC numbers.

Biff

"Strike Eagle Loader" wrote in
message ...