Prakash

Default how to hide rows in a protected sheet

1. How to hide rows in a protected worksheet without unprotecting the
worksheet.
2. Is it possible to delete rows in a protected worksheet without
unprotecting the worksheet.
3. My requirements is that in a worksheet, I have input certain formulas
and the same is protected with a password, I will be sending these sheets to
my colleagues to fill in data and the formulas will automatically calculate
the results. I dont want them to modify the protected ranges.

This protection will be for certain columns for the entire worksheet. In
case if they print then there are totals at the end of the sheet which also
has to be printed but I dont want empty rows without data not to be printed.

My querry is that is it possible to hide or delete empty rows in a protected
sheet without unprotecting the same.

4. These sheets will be used regularly as templates is it possible for them
to store the same in one file with different worksheet. In other words they
will copy and paste the template in the same file in different sheet but I
need the protection to continue is it possible.

5. Is it possible for someone to unprotect the sheet without the owner
disclosing the password. In other words is it possible to break the password.

Expecting your immediate response on the same.

regards

Prakash
JulieD

Hi Prakash (nice to hear from you again!)

depends what version you're using ... if you're using ver 2002 / 2003 you
can choose to allow users to insert / delete rows when you protect the sheet
(tools / protection / protect sheet - look at the list of exemptions). for
ver 2000 and prior the worksheet needs to be unprotected to allow these
events - you can write code to do this (ie have an insert rows button -
which first unprotects the sheet, inserts the row(s) and the re-protects the
sheet).

but in answer to your last question - worksheet / workbook protection in
excel is (very) easy to break - a quick google search will bring up a number
of programs that will allow anyone to break code in a matter of minutes.

Cheers
JulieD

"Prakash" wrote in message
[...]

prakash

Hi Julie,

Thanks for replying to my query. But still u have not answered my question.
How do i hide rows in a protected worksheet withou unprotecting the
worksheet itself.

"Prakash" wrote:

[...]

JulieD

Hi Prakash

you can't hide rows in a protected worksheet ...

you have to unprotect the worksheet / hide the rows and then re-protect it
along the lines i outlined for inserting / deleting rows in ver 2000 in my
previous answer.

Cheers
JulieD

"Prakash" wrote:

[...]

prakash

Hi

I have a question, we are creating excel worksheets wherein my colleagues
are required to key in data in certain cells which are mandatory.

How to specify mandatory cells

I want to know how in excel can i specify that if a particular cell is
mandatory and data is not entered in that cell it should not allow the user
to proceed to next cell and it should also give a message stating mandatory
cell and data needs to be entered.

Another option is it should also throw out an error message if a cell is
mandatory and no data is entered in that cell.

Expecting your early reply.

regards

Prakash

"Prakash" wrote:

[...]

JulieD

Hi Prakash

Sorry for the delay in replying, we've got bushfires near us and the power
hasn't been too reliable so i've not used the computer for the last couple
of days ....

there's two ways of doing it - you can use a worksheet_change event to check
everytime anything is done to the worksheet to see what is and isn't filled
in or you can check before they close the worksheet - using code similar to
this code, posted by Jim Rech in response to a similar question:
--------

If Sheet1.Range("A1").Value = "" Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "Please make an entry in A1"

--------

Cheers

JulieD

"Prakash" wrote:

[...]

JulieD

Hi

i'm in western australia - in a suburb of Perth called Roleystone

Cheers
julieD

"prakash" wrote in message
Thank u very much.