JM

Default Freeze Pane problem in shared workbooks

This is a follow-up to SCA's post of 10/21/04. Like SCA, I have a freeze pane
problem in shared Excel 200 files that have autofilter enabled. Here's the
problem:

I have a habit of freezing the top two rows in all of the worksheets in a
shared workbook so that column headings in row 1 and filters in row 2 are
always
visible when I scroll down. In shared files only, the freeze frame will have
mysteriously jumped down to another row, for example row 100, when I first
open a file. In other words, when I first open the worksheet, I might see
rows 1 to 30 on my screen, but I can't scroll down because the freeze frame
is down at row 100. This can happen at odd times on all worksheets in a
workbook, or just some of the worksheets in a workbook. So unfortunately, I
often end up having to reset the freeze pane at row 2 again for all or some
of the worksheets.

Since there are only two of us in the office sharing these workbooks, I'm
confident that neither of us are changing the placement of the
frozen panes. Perhaps the fact that we are both filtering columns and saving
the shared workbooks is causing Excel to reset the freeze pane inadvertantly.

If someone could figure out this problem it would be very helpful to me.
Shared workbooks are a powerful tool, but this problem really limits my
ability to use shared workbooks more broadly in my office.

--
JM
Dave Peterson

My guess...

I don't think it's anything to do with the Sharedness of the workbook.

I think that the freezepanes is being applied to the wrong cell.

If I put headers in row 1
And in A2:A99, I put "asdf"
in A100:a200, I put "qwer"

Then apply data|filter|autofilter and filter to show the "qwer" values.

Then select A100 and Window|FreezePanes.

It looks like my frozen panes are working nicely. But as soon as I do a
Data|filter|show all, it looks like excel locked up. The freeze panes is still
in A100.

(Yes, there's a guy at work who does this and it really makes other people
nuts!)

So apply your windows|freezepanes only when you're showing all the data.