Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
byosko

Default How do I convert from text to columns automatically on import?

I have a CSV file, comma delimited, where each piece of data is surrounded by
double quotes. Here's an example:

"Yann Contratto","","RĂ©vision","11/01/2005","20000 - PROJETS INTERNES- Div.
Exp.&Cons.","20000","2.00","0242 - Soumission SERVICES","$0.00","","$0.00","
N/A"

In Excel 2003 it imports into unique columns and everything works fine.

But for a client of mine using Excel 2002 - it imports as you see it above.
So then he has to convert text to columns or import (instead of just
File-Open). It takes a few steps to do it, and I'd like to help him avoid
those steps. He also has to convert numbers from text values to numbers,
which in my case is not required whatsoever. I could show him how to setup a
macro I suppose but there's gotta be a better answer.

I'd be surprised if this is a problem specific with Excel 2002 - and he's
the only customer that's ever mentioned it. The only difference here is that
this is a Canadian customer (versus a US customer) so he may be using a
Canadian version of Excel.

I'd like to make it so that as soon as he opens the .CSV file in Excel it
puts things into the proper columns and formats the values properly without
any manual intervention.

Thanks.

Benjamin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Just a guess, but I'd look at the windows List separator.

In winXP,
Windows start button|control panel|regional and language options
Regional Options tab|click the customize button|Numbers tab
list separator.

I bet you have a comma listed and he has a semicolon.

You could ask him to test it by changing to a comma--or maybe you could try it.

Temporarily change to that semicolon to see if you have the same trouble.

Be aware that this is a windows setting, so you'll want to change it to what you
want when you're done experimenting. (Same with your user.)

--

Dave Peterson