Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gerns

Default How do I count nonblank text cells in Excel

I am trying to count text information in a column. Using =CountA (H1:H500),
the figure comes out much too high.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

Then the cells likely aren't really blank. With that formula in place, try
selecting a couple of the "blank" cells and hitting Edit--Clear--All. Save
the file and hit F9.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"gerns" wrote in message
I am trying to count text information in a column. Using =CountA
(H1:H500),
the figure comes out much too high.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyer

You say that you wish to count "text" information in a column, yet you are
using COUNTA() !

That function counts *everything* ... numbers, text, logicals, errors, and
zero length strings ( "" ).

If you're really looking to count *only* text, try this:

=COUNTIF(H1:H500,"*?")

--
HTH,

RD