Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default create a month column from date column

I have a column in which the date is entered in mm/dd/yyyy format.
what i would like to have is another column that takes that information and
gives me the month in word format and the year in number format.

so for example:
if e2= 05/07/2009
i would like to have f2= May 2009

is that possible? if so, How do I do that?
your help will be greatly appreciated
--
thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In F2, enter:
=E2 and format F2 as Custom mmmm yyyy
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"jcontrer" wrote:

I have a column in which the date is entered in mm/dd/yyyy format.
what i would like to have is another column that takes that information and
gives me the month in word format and the year in number format.

so for example:
if e2= 05/07/2009
i would like to have f2= May 2009

is that possible? if so, How do I do that?
your help will be greatly appreciated
--
thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jan 14, 12:12*pm, jcontrer
wrote:
I have a column in which the date is entered in mm/dd/yyyy format.
what i would like to have is another column that takes that information and
gives me the month in word format and the year in number format.

so for example:
if e2= 05/07/2009
i would like to have f2= May 2009

is that possible? if so, How do I do that?
your help will be greatly appreciated
--
thanks in advance

Use this formula : =Date(year(e2),month(e2),1)

Only need to change the cell format to display the right date format.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jcontrer wrote:
I have a column in which the date is entered in mm/dd/yyyy format.
what i would like to have is another column that takes that information and
gives me the month in word format and the year in number format.

so for example:
if e2= 05/07/2009
i would like to have f2= May 2009

is that possible? if so, How do I do that?
your help will be greatly appreciated

Hi
The simplest that I can think of is that you format f2 as mmm/yyy (Rightclick
on F2 formatcustommmm/yyyy) after copying the date from e2 to f2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why bother changing it to the first of the month?
--
David Biddulph

"Yanick" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 12:12 pm, jcontrer
wrote:
I have a column in which the date is entered in mm/dd/yyyy format.
what i would like to have is another column that takes that information
and
gives me the month in word format and the year in number format.

so for example:
if e2= 05/07/2009
i would like to have f2= May 2009

is that possible? if so, How do I do that?
your help will be greatly appreciated
--
thanks in advance

Use this formula : =Date(year(e2),month(e2),1)

Only need to change the cell format to display the right date format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I change the format in F2, how can I run a subtotal of all values for May?
How can I create a pivot table that groups all the values in May when I use
F2 as a column header? (it creates a column for each distinct day of the
month instead of a May column). Is there a way of doing so? I'm on XP with
Excel 2003. Thanks, jn